1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resources for bilingual Spanish students??

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by holly27, Jul 4, 2016.

1. holly27

holly27 New commenter

I am the Head of Spanish at my school and, in September, we will be teaching Spanish in Year 7 for the first time. Up until now it has been an option in Y9, so we have generally avoided the bilingual Spanish-speakers choosing our subject.
    Now it will be compulsory for all Y7 students, there are certain to be some students who speak Spanish at home. I have had this situation before, but not in a selective school like this one where students have high literacy levels and will not need much language support, beyond perhaps spelling rules etc.
    Does anyone have suggestions for resources that would be suitable to give such students? They would need to be things that they could mostly tackle independently, as the classroom teachers' main focus will be the beginners in the rest of the class.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

2. marianevares

marianevares New commenter

What about penfriends or a project with Spanish students? and then, they can help the new learners with structures o vocabulary.
    My Spanish students are quite fluent in English. Some of them would be able to do an exchange of ideas or topics. I don't know... My school, My family... something like that. Once the advanced students have the other country information they can present it to the group and use it to introduce new vocabulary to their classmates 'deberes' 'recreo'....

3. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

If your students have access to computers/tablets, I have produced/found (and continue to do so) a range of resources, some of which would be suitable for 'self-study'. A lot are listening or reading resources, so you might want to add some questions or exercises to supplement/extend. Some of the resources are short, others are quite extensive websites/videos.
    Here's my blog address: http://spain4exams.blogspot.com.es/

Un saludo.
    JJD

4. Linguo24

Linguo24 New commenter

The website www.languagesonline.org.uk offers lots of independent exercises in Spanish which students can do and then correct straight away before moving on to the next one. Many of the sections are based on the textbook Caminos but they can all be used for study purposes regardless.

5. keisha11

keisha11 New commenter

I have started a YouTube channel for both my English and Spanish speaking students. Perhaps doing some of the listenings on the page and producing the subtitles themselves. From experience they usually speak well but have difficulty with writing and grammar so perhaps this is an option. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZTPEuXKCno9d9ctCWH5n1w