1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resources by AF?

Discussion in 'English' started by roamingteacher, May 29, 2011.

1. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Occasional commenter Forum guide

I'm currently trying to set up an online resource where learners can access materials according to the AFs (reading and writing) they are trying to improve on. The idea is that they get a target based on previous work, and then can go to this page / site to access materials that can help them develop their skill in (for example) paragraphing or deduce and infer. I know there are lots of website with suitable materials, but, as far as I know, there is no organised index of these.
    Does anyone know of anything currently in existence or any sites I might link to? I have used many already such as HGfL, BBC Skillswise, BBC Bitesize, English Biz etc. but more suggestions welcome.
    It will be available freely to anyone who's interested so please contribute if you can. Send me a PM or post on here.
    (If anyone responds to this post telling me it's already been done I'll be mighty pleased!)
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. roamingteacher

I'm currently trying to set up an online resource where learners can access materials according to the AFs (reading and writing) they are trying to improve on. The idea is that they get a target based on previous work, and then can go to this page / site to access materials that can help them develop their skill in (for example) paragraphing or deduce and infer. I know there are lots of website with suitable materials, but, as far as I know, there is no organised index of these.
    Does anyone know of anything currently in existence or any sites I might link to? I have used many already such as HGfL, BBC Skillswise, BBC Bitesize, English Biz etc. but more suggestions welcome.
    It will be available freely to anyone who's interested so please contribute if you can. Send me a PM or post on here.
    (If anyone responds to this post telling me it's already been done I'll be mighty pleased!)
    Thanks [​IMG]

3. Hey there

Did you get any joy with this at all? I'm trying to develop our VLE and think what you're doing is a great idea.

Have you got any further with organising it- if so, would love to see a copy.

I can't think of any other sites that would give the links that you need at the moment, but will look through my favourites and check. Is there anyway of linking some of the TES resources to the VLE? Would you always encounter a password problem? Can you adapt your own? If this is possible, I have some resources that could be used?

Ta

Juliette

4. roamingteacher

Thanks for your posting. I have created a site, but as I didn't get any responses from the bods on here, I decided to make it a private one, so I could add resources I'd be unable to on a public site (due to copyright). I was hoping for a big collaboration to create a free online resource that was public to all, but it seems people are either uninterested (for whatever reason), too busy at the mo or don't see it as worthwhile :( I'm not in the UK, so I don't know if it's because AFs are dropping out of 'fashion'...?
    Anyway, happy to show you what I've done if you send me a PM with your email address. If you've anything to add, would be good to hear about it.
    Cheers :)

5. Hi RT, I'd be interested in seeing what you're up to with this as it's something we're starting to incorporate in what we're working on in our project.
    Can you PM us (or email if you've still got my email address from English Language List days)?