1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resources breaching copyright.

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by sam enerve, Mar 23, 2018.

1. MosaiK

MosaiK New commenter

Thank you again. Yes you are right. I am selling to a niche market because the subjects I know are niche subjects. I am not in this to become rich, I am in this because it gives me an opportunity to share and spread resources which I have prepared and which have worked for me. I am currently going over resources of years of teaching in order to adapt them to copyright laws and to make them accessible to a wider audience by making them less specific to a certain class or situation. I aim to help and facilitate rather than rake in the money :)
    You are right about expecting to be paid. Here, I enjoy getting the odd £1-£2 for my resources and I call it my Christmas money (we have 7 grandchildren!).
    Having started to make up new resources to spread myself further too, I find it is laborious and takes time to step outside my own subjects. The upside though is that I can sell on more sites than just TES.
    I have indeed read the comments on the author boards and I find some of them atrocious. :eek: However each to their own. I shall not rise to such - in my opinion people who lack respect and understanding do not deserve much attention. ;)

pascuam49 and agathamorse like this.
  2. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

3. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

As I understand it, the issue was not so much the fact the pupil had used the image in his project (although he could/should have indicated copyright), but the fact that when the pupil's work was displayed on the school's web site, that meant the audience had changed. The students need to be made aware of copyright issues. But the staff also need to make sure they check before placing student work onto publicy available sites. It seems they didn't in this case.

4. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

The issue is that people think it's acceptable to use other people's work without first seeking their permission. In the case of many TES resource sellers, they are not only using other people's/organisations' work but also trying to make money out of it.

5. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

I am aware there are issues around copyright infringment with some resources on TES. But the post you made at #22 referred specifically to the German school allowing their pupil to use copyrighted images, and posting them on their web site ?

6. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

And the fact they were prosecuted.

7. paradisecity12

paradisecity12 New commenter

Turning a website which was meant as a sharing between professionals into a commercial enterprise with people buying and selling has changed the ethos of the site, Apart from the copyright issues, are these people telling HMRC about their extra income? Or are they aware that resources created in the carrying out of their school role technically belong to that school and aren’t really theirs to sell?

LadyPsyche likes this.