1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resources breaching copyright.

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by sam enerve, Mar 23, 2018.

1. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

I've noticed recently that more and more (paid) resources on TES contain materials which have been taken without permission from other places. These include: pictures of well known actors, cartoon characters, and even screenshots of text books!

All of us have used images in our teaching in our classrooms but uploading them to, or selling them on, TES and claiming to be the author could get you into a lot of trouble.

Come on people.

You're better than that!I

(Yes, I know I have a Sesame Street avatar!)

2. parkert

parkert New commenter

hear hear!

agathamorse likes this.
  3. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

I have a real bee in my bonnet about this and I have started reporting users for passing off other people's resources as their own and trying to sell them on here.

The number of resources I've found which contain screenshots of the Pearson French and Spanish GCSE textbooks is quite astounding.

Quite simply, it's theft.

Unless, of course, you follow the teaching of Proudhon and even his work is copyrighted...

Mazarine and catmother like this.
  4. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

I've just reported ELEVEN users to TES for uploading resources from Light Bulb Languages / MFL Sunderland without my permission. I wish it was the only time I've had to do this.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

:mad: on your behalf Geekie.

6. vuvuzela

vuvuzela Occasional commenter

Are they trying to sell them too?

7. Geekie

Sometimes yes, sometimes no

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Geekie

9. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I'm really sorry to hear this :( as I know you have always been most generous with your excellent resources and helped so many people.

agathamorse, Mazarine and lentils22 like this.
  10. Geekie

Thanks Marlin

marlin likes this.
  11. Idiomas11

Idiomas11 Occasional commenter

I have also seen resources from Neil Jones MFL for sale!

agathamorse likes this.
  12. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

Just reported one more.
    This particular user has over 100 resources for sale (!!!!) which contain screenshots of Pearson French and Spanish textbooks.
    It's crazy!!!!!
    Do these people know what they are doing?

agathamorse, MosaiK and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well done and I doubt they realise about copyright law. I've seen a source recently (not MFL) where I recognise all the pictures from a textbook. I suspect the textbook is out of print, so there may be some leeway for the use of some pictures, as the textbook is aimed at an older age-group and thise was for Primary, but even so . . . .

MosaiK likes this.
  14. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Indeed.

15. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I periodically look at the resources on TES and have to say that an awful lot of them are what we had years ago in text books that were mainly text. The worksheets seem to be so much 're-inventing the wheel', with the addition of coloured borders, cartoon images, emojis and photos..
    The downsides, as I see it, are burgeoning photocopying costs in school, pupils drowning in loose paper that is often mislaid or destroyed (and thus not available for revision purposes), more scope for error (without the proof-reading at a publisher's) and unnecessary teacher workload devising or adapting worksheets.

16. Elly40

Elly40 New commenter

That's not on as you make the resources freely available and easy to edit

17. MosaiK

MosaiK New commenter

As an author myself, I would like to add my point of view to this thread. ;)
    Copyright infringement is clearly not acceptable and it is unfair to original authors who have worked hard to produce their resources and are happy to share them with so many of us MFL teachers.
    It is also unfair to many of our own author colleagues here on TES, as we then struggle to sell our own resources which are not in breach of copyright. My football world cup resources for instance draw all their pictures from 'free for commercial use, no mention required' websites pixabay and pexels. However, this means that buyers are more likely to go straight to those resources that feature actual players, the current world cup football, the correct cup etc... It is a sad reality and we feel it in our sales. Many of us authors follow the TES copyright rules and aim to respect them every step of the way. Some authors also subscribe to certain websites who will sell such pictures, e.g. shutterstock, flickr... I don't know how those websites work it that they can sell otherwise 'copyrighted' material. :confused:
    For the end of term I produced a generic work book for movies. One version can be used as is, another version comes with a teacher guide on how to adapt it to a specific movie - because teachers are not subject to the same copyright laws for teaching purposes. Both versions of my work book are available in 3 languages - Eng, Fre, Ger. I spent much time creating these from material which I have used over the years. Only 2 people bought the generic version, nobody bought the other. :(
    Why? I just know that many teachers/buyers will have bought or downloaded the many movie-specific versions out there, which blatantly ignore any copyright laws and produce worksheets and activities illustrated with pictures which are freely available on the internet but without checking associated rights - never mind common sense, i.e. if someone else created it, then you are clearly not the author !?!. :rolleyes:
    There have been several discussions about copyright issues on author message boards. However whilst TES acts swiftly and works closely with anybody reporting such copyright infringements, they also quite rightly point out that the responsibility lies with the authors of the resources. The same applies to other websites which sell teaching resources produced by unverified teacher-authors.
    I hope that by contributing this reply I have been able to show that as authors we are not all just money-grabbing individuals. Most of us genuinely care about our work and think about how we can contribute to saving you all time and effort by sharing our own resources.
    :):D:)

agathamorse likes this.
  18. vuvuzela

They pay the photographers/authors royalties on licences bought through the sites, either on an individual basis or through a subscription.

agathamorse and MosaiK like this.
  19. MosaiK

MosaiK New commenter

Thank you for enlightening me on this subject. I had often wondered... :cool: I just know that at current sale numbers, I doubt the expense to buy in enough pictures for a resource may be unlikely to cover the revenue from that very same resource. :)

agathamorse and vuvuzela like this.
  20. vuvuzela

You're welcome. The upside is that you can become a 'photographer' too and make royalties if you are of that inclination.
    As to some of your other concerns, teaching resources isn't really a niche that's going to make you rich for various reasons. For one, teachers like free stuff. Have you had a read of some of the nasty posts on the author forum attacking teachers for selling the stuff they took time and effort, and no doubt in some cases, money to produce? I don't agree. With very few exceptions, all other professionals expect to get paid for what they produce or offer as service, and rightly so. For another thing, the scope of the niche is limited. Your film guides are a niche within a niche within a niche. I'd cast my net wider if I were you.

agathamorse and MosaiK like this.