1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resource suggestions

Discussion in 'English' started by hollygolightly23, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I am an English NQT (or will be come September!) and just wondered if anyone had any suggestions for resources they use time and time again?

I have the whole summer free and want to use it to create some resources for my classroom. Now obviously a lot of resources in English are very subject specific; but i wondered if anyone had any advice about things they use with all classes. For example, i was thinking, of a set of AFL 'traffic lights'. My GCSE spec will be AQA

I am very keen to get started and want to be as organised as possible!

Thank you so much in advance :)

2. Hi all,

I am an English NQT (or will be come September!) and just wondered if anyone had any suggestions for resources they use time and time again?

I have the whole summer free and want to use it to create some resources for my classroom. Now obviously a lot of resources in English are very subject specific; but i wondered if anyone had any advice about things they use with all classes. For example, i was thinking, of a set of AFL 'traffic lights'. My GCSE spec will be AQA

I am very keen to get started and want to be as organised as possible!

Thank you so much in advance :)

3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Occasional commenter Forum guide

Given the environmental impact of laminating, I really wouldn't bother until you decide you are sure you are actually going to use something again. With the whole AfL drive, I have seen departments spend lots (and lots!) of money and time producing key rings, flashcards and other paraphernalia which does nothing more than gather dust after a couple of experimental uses. That's not to say you definitely won't find them useful (although I personally don't know anyone who uses them regularly), but could you consider waiting to see? These tools seem to work best in primary where the teacher is using them all the time, but in secondary, where teachers are so individual in their activities, such tools often fall by the wayside.
    Other may well disagree, but that's just my tuppenceworth.
    If I was planning on spending my summer creating resources (rather than recovering from the PGCE[​IMG]), I'd do a few things:
    • have a look at the units of work at KS3 and CAs for GCSE and think about gathering/ creating resources including docs, sites, vids etc;
    • plan the first week/couple of lessons for each group with outlines of what could happen next depending on their interests / abilities
    • read the novels for each year group being taught
    I remember well my NQT year - spending weeks and weeks creating comprehensive schemes of work. Then you meet the students...
    Trust me - be resourced up to the eyeballs, but don't expect that you will ever teach a scheme of work as it's planned.
    Good luck! [​IMG]

4. diamond_raindrops

diamond_raindrops New commenter