1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resource previews: an update

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by charliep86, Mar 2, 2018.

1. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

I see this!

Attached Files:

2. MosaiK

MosaiK Occasional commenter

Thank you @Charlie, I like the 'watermark'-overlay as it looks at the moment, unobtrusive yet functional :cool:.
    Having read some of the recent comments in this thread, I would also like to reinforce 2 points which @Krazikas made about the preview experience. I too struggle with the current slimline scroll bar which seems to be designed for touch screens rather than mouse-use. Keeping the pointer on the scroll-bar feels to me like trying to fit into extra-skinny jeans without bursting them :oops:. I would also like to see the sideways scroll function back, please. It used to be so easy to flick between preview files and now I have to go back to the left hand menu each time I am changing to a different document o_O.

Thank you for reading and listening,
    M. :)

mrajlong and Krazikas like this.
  3. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam Administrator Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

@Krazikas and @schoolsciences @MosaiK thanks for your feedback; we will share this with the team but just need a few more details first to open a ticket: on the points about the scroll function, do you mean the scroll on the resource page (before clicking into the expanded preview) or on the preview itself when expanded? On the resource page, there is a line to scroll across left to right - are you having issues with this function? Or is the issue occurring in the expanded preview? It would be hugely helpful if you can provide any screenshots of the issues on this you're experiencing and we'll add this info in for the engineers. Thanks!

@thinky that does not look right; can you provide the link to the resource this is happening on (or any other example) and we'll look into it too. Also: is that what you are seeing on mobile? Do you have the same experience on desktop?

Thanks

4. ClassroomChemist

ClassroomChemist New commenter

Left to right is fine (to improve make it larger though - not immediately obvious this is for scrolling left to right. Scroll on the preview is poor. To the right of a preview image the little black bar that is clicked to scroll down needs to be enlarged to the width of the vertical scroll on a web page/word doc etc.

Attached Files:

5. tesAuthorTeam

Thanks for your speedy reply @schoolsciences I see what you mean! Will take this info to the team, we appreciate you providing more info. To any other authors experiencing issues feel free to share your info too if you wish, the more detail and examples the better :)

6. MosaiK

Thank you for following up on this. I haven't got a clue what you mean by the left to right scroll line on the resource page, so I cannot comment on that, sorry. :(
    What I meant originally, is that when a resource contains various preview documents, i.e. those that are not zipped, it used to be possible to click on the first one to open it in preview and then there used to be a right arrow on the right and a left arrow on the left which enabled me to flick to the right and move on to the next 'previewable' document... rather than having to move the mouse back to the left hand column and click on the next document in the list.
    The issue with the scroll line to move up and down the page of a preview is merely that it is far too slimline, bearing in mind that we are unlikely to open such previews on our interactive whiteboard, but rather on a laptop or even a smaller screen tablet.
    I hope this clarifies my points in a previous post.
    Thank you,
    :)

7. Krazikas

Krazikas Occasional commenter

previews.png
    I have attached an image showing the difficulties with previews and the suggestions for change.

MosaiK and Littlesherbetlemon like this.
  8. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

It's the same for any resource when viewed using a tablet in portrait mode.

Looks as though the surrounding box for the preview images has been set to 100% height but the overlay is set to vertical-centre and so it sits in the middle when viewed with a tablet.

MosaiK likes this.
  9. tesAuthorTeam

Thanks @MosaiK @thinky @Krazikas & everyone else.

The team put live some changes on the scrollbar and arrow navigation tools as per your feedback - please take a look when you get a chance and whether the usability has improved for you.

On the sizing issue of preview height, I've shared that feedback @thinky and am having discussions to explore this with the team. Thanks all for your feedback and patience :)

thinky likes this.
  10. Krazikas

Krazikas Occasional commenter

That's great thanks. Thank you for listening and taking action so quickly! :D

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    tesAuthorTeam and MosaiK like this.
  11. MosaiK

Yay!!! :D This is amazing. ;)
    Thank you soooo much for listening and responding so positively. I am sure many of our buyers will appreciate these changes.
    :):cool::D

tesAuthorTeam likes this.