1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resource previews: an update

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by charliep86, Mar 2, 2018.

1. planmylesson

planmylesson New commenter

Thanks for exploring the use of watermarks and I hope that these are installed asap. Personally I prefer the 1st option (blue box) but would be happy with anything that prevents a further loss of sales.

2. alicemn

alicemn New commenter

Thanks for helpful change!

3. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

Took a look at an old resource of mine earlier and wondered why it looked so ugly. It seems the preview system renders its own fonts (instead of those embedded in PDFs) resulting in a preview that looks nothing like the actual resource!

I've now zipped the resource and uploaded preview images instead.

4. CindyKuehne

CindyKuehne New commenter

Ist there any way to upload a preview file instead of letting tes creating previews automatically?

5. ClassroomChemist

ClassroomChemist New commenter

6. planmylesson

planmylesson New commenter

Any updates on when the watermarks will be introduced?

mrajlong likes this.
  7. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

@charliep86 Please, when are the watermarks going live? I am in shock at how easy it is to steal my one page resources - right click - save image - job done. it would explain why I am selling so few of these at the moment. I do not want to have to spend the hours and hours and hours it will take me to got through ALL my resources adding my own mark. I truly dread to think how much has been taken for free because of this...This should have been in place from the beginning and I hope it is a number one priority at your end. Can I have a timeline for when this will be happening?

shd132 likes this.
  8. charliep86

charliep86 New commenter

Hi all!

Thanks for all of your feedback on this. The main comments have been around ensuring that any watermarking doesn't obstruct the preview and so create a poor experience for the teacher viewing the resource, while ensuring that it prevents anybody from taking a screenshot and using that in their lesson. Our designers are creating a version that combines some of the features of the mockups I posted in my original comment in this thread, and we hope to be able to make these changes to the preview experience in the next few weeks.

A number of people have remarked that they would like to be have control over whether or not a preview image is watermarked: we have logged this idea, and will definitely be considering it when we review the preview functionality again in future (alongside providing authors with greater control over what the preview contains). However, this isn't something we will be addressing in the near future. In order to make sure that we aren't providing a poor experience, we will be creating a watermark that is as unobtrusive as possible.

Thanks again for all of your comments and feedback, and we will be updating you all soon once this is live :)

Charlie

Krazikas, thinky and mrajlong like this.
  9. mrajlong

10. charliep86

charliep86 New commenter

Hello authors,

A brief update: Here is the designs for the watermark that we will be implementing. We've settled on this version, as it is less intrusive than the others. It combines the Tes logo, plus gives credit to the author.

I'll let you know once this is live :)

thinky and mracdpresent like this.
  11. hoppytimes

hoppytimes New commenter

I like it but I also like the fact that you can opt out , hopefully? :)

Krazikas likes this.
  12. charliep86

charliep86 New commenter

Hello all :)

This is now live. Please let us know if you have any feedback, or if anything isn't working as you would expect.

Thanks!

goldtopfox and Krazikas like this.
  13. charliep86

charliep86 New commenter

@hoppytimes this isn't something that you'll be able to opt out of or have control over in the first instance. But, we've designed the watermark to be unobtrusive, so it shouldn't detract from the previewing experience.

14. SimplyEffectiveEducation

SimplyEffectiveEducation New commenter

I like the design of the new watermark, but I was expecting it to be part of the previews rather than just an overlay. I guess it will put some people off nabbing something though...

Anyway, my big issue is with fonts in PDF previews, as has been mentioned by Thinky. Can anything be done so the fonts embedded in a PDF are used, rather than defaulting to what seems to be Times New Roman?

Take a look at this resource of mine, for example. The cover image shows how it should be but the preview of the PDF is obviously not the same and in my opinion it looks bad. It's disappointing that this used to be OK but now is broken.

I don't have time to do Thinky's workaround of zipping and re-upload everything, so I would like to hear what, if anything, can be done about it.

15. mrajlong

Thanks @charliep86 . I like the fact that right-clicking is also disabled to save the image. Will definitely stop potential "stealing" (for want of a better word) of my one page collections.

tesAuthorTeam likes this.
  16. Krazikas

Krazikas Occasional commenter

Hi Charlie, I like the watermark. Thank you. However, with the larger size images, I do have some difficulty trying to see the whole page. It's quite a feat to line up the mouse on the little black line at the side to move down the resource and to see it all. I often get fed up and leave it as it takes me too long and gets me a bit wound up. I am sure that potential purchasers experience the same thing. Would it be possible to improve this scroll down feature? Also, would it be possible to bring back the 'scroll across feature' to enable a better and quicker viewing experience, rather than having to keep clicking on the individual resources on the left-hand side. We need to make the pre-view experience as easy as possible to encourage more sales.

MosaiK and mrajlong like this.
  17. LikeAnExpert

LikeAnExpert New commenter

The watermarks are a great idea - thank you!

18. SimplyEffectiveEducation

SimplyEffectiveEducation New commenter

I just had a look at another of my resources. You can see it here.

It uses glyphs that aren't in the font used by the PDF previewer:

[​IMG]

It should look like this:

[​IMG]

@charliep86 - this used to be fine, why is it now broken?

Krazikas and FullShelf like this.
  19. FullShelf

FullShelf New commenter

I have a few previews with the same problem!

20. ClassroomChemist

ClassroomChemist New commenter

The ability to scroll down on previewed shots needs fixing. If I'm a buyer I want to see as much of the resource as possible and this hinders it. Or ditch the whole watermark and have buyers download a preview file as on ***. That's a better system and give us control over what we want the buyers to see.

Krazikas and hoppytimes like this.