1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resource prep over summer

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by hollygolightly23, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I am an English NQT (or will be come September!) and just wondered if anyone had any suggestions for resources they use time and time again?

I have the whole summer free and want to use it to create some resources for my classroom. Now obviously a lot of resources in English are very subject specific; but i wondered if anyone had any advice about things they use with all classes. For example, i was thinking, of a set of AFL 'traffic lights'. My GCSE spec will be AQA

I am very keen to get started and want to be as organised as possible!

Thank you so much in advance :)

2. Hi all,

I am an English NQT (or will be come September!) and just wondered if anyone had any suggestions for resources they use time and time again?

I have the whole summer free and want to use it to create some resources for my classroom. Now obviously a lot of resources in English are very subject specific; but i wondered if anyone had any advice about things they use with all classes. For example, i was thinking, of a set of AFL 'traffic lights'. My GCSE spec will be AQA

I am very keen to get started and want to be as organised as possible!

Thank you so much in advance :)

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

It's an impossible situation. You want to get started but everybody will tell you to make the most of the free time you have. Find out texts/units you're teaching for the first half term, and plan what you're going to do each week with an idea of why you're doing it and what you're working towards. Do this for each class and then plan every lesson for the first week or two. Get folders sorted on school site, your computer, memory stick or whatever (consider Dropbox or similar). Print hard copy of worksheets to photocopy just in case. Sort into plastic folders or whatever you want to use.
    Make sure you know the GCSE/GCE specs - they're new so we're all getting our heads round them. Know exam texts well. Don't plan too far ahead because things change Read school texts for pleasure if you want to but focus on those used in KS 4/5. Then enjoy the holiday. The autumn term is not the easiest so start it with as much energy as you can.