1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resource outlining presentation rules and ideas

Discussion in 'Science' started by durgamata, Dec 15, 2011.

1. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

Just came across a old master copy related to presentation of written work. Sharing this as a resource and mentioning it in the forums for several subjects as most departments have such guides for keeping exercise books looking good. This one is a bit more than a list of rules and hopefully will encourage our students to think about their work and be more inclined to take a pride in it.

I teach humanities but guess that similar presentation problems can occur in most subjects so sharing this with you too.

2. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

If you click on my name it comes up with my resources I think. But the actual web address is https://www.tes.co.uk/MyResources.aspx?navcode=472

3. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Occasional commenter

From the time I trained as a teacher (secondary physics, 1966) using the Nuffield schemes, I have felt that writing so-called neat notes (because they never are) was primarily a device used by teachers to get their students quiet and busy as easily and quickly as possible. It never had much to do with learning and understanding the stuff they were writing about, apart from the lame excuse that they needed them for revision purposes. As we all know, there are excellent published revision notes for all of the sciences at all levels, and we have the Internet.

Of course for some it worked (I still have my old grammar school notes in all subjects from my own school days). There is very little teacher-marked work in them, and the quality of presentation deteriorates from first year (Y7) to sixth form. I was so pleased that Nuffield science discouraged, even nearly eliminated, the writing of these sorts of notes during science lessons.

With great respect then, durgamata, I hope that all science teachers nowadays will not be interested in this short exposition of how students might improve their written work during lessons, which in science, being fully practical (like art and craft) is all done in a rough note-book. Written work to be presented for assessment is done outside normal lesson time.

Some time ago I gave more thoughts on this here:

https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/489241.aspx?PageIndex=1

4. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Just like Einstein, Feynman, Dirac and Hawking who I am sure spent/spend their entire time on their feet messing around with general relativity, black holes and the like in the bottom of their test tubes making rough notes ;)

What about thinking time, hypothesizing, designing, planning and so forth? Is there no case for this to be done in the classroom, a little guidance for example in teaching students HOW to ask scientific questions? A little introduction to the robust process of peer-review perhaps (which can be like taking a lamb to the slaughter at research level)?

Though I wouldn't necessarily go along with many things on the OP's resource, there is a case for neatness particularly when recording data or manipulating formulae. In fact, my old physics master was a dragon on the subject of drawing up your data tables properly BEFORE starting in order to minimize basic transcription errors for one thing. I'm not sure doing everything in 'rough' first while conducting an experiment is necessarily best practice either as it lends itself too easily to omitting anomalies or other inconvenient results. IMHO a laboratory notebook should be a faithful record of what was done as it is done and not a tidy-up afterwards.

At school we were always furnished with a separate Laboratory Notebook specifically for the purpose and separate from general notes, homework etc.. In my former teaching career, this was also true. I am not sure what the norm is these days.