1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resitting PGCE Placement funding

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by aman_dhesi, Jun 29, 2016.

1. aman_dhesi

aman_dhesi New commenter

Hello everyone

I need to some advice I recently failed my second placement of my PGCE. I was really heartbroken about it but I have been given the chance to resit it on September. I have been told that the resit is going to cost me £1500 as it will be a 12 week placement.My question is do student finance help with funding even if a placement is being resit. The help I would like is tuition fee loans and and maybe a maintenance loan to help with through the resit.

My situation is different as I had originally started my course is September 2014 however in January 2015 I had to have a break from studies due to a medical condition. So i didn't fail and returned in September 2015. I passed the remainder of my first placement then failed the second. I had paid £9000 for both years as they counted as one. I did take out maintenance loan both times. So i am not sure if they will help me again. Was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation.

Many thanks

Aaron

2. littledragon25

littledragon25 New commenter

Your situation is different to other people and so it can be hard to give advice on this. For example, we don't know how many years of funding you've had for your main degree etc. so it can be hard to factor those things in.

Honestly, just call and ask the question. They are the best people to give you that advice.

3. u004665

u004665 New commenter

I don't know about student finance but one option could be a career development loan. This is a bank loan for courses that further your career and the government pays the interest on the loan while you are studying and for one month after. After this time you start to repay the loan over 1-5 years. It can be used for fees and living costs. Obviously a bank loan is a serious option but if you are really struggling might be worth looking into it.

4. juliette2007

juliette2007 New commenter

Hello Aaron and others,

I am posting there, although I am not sure you could help.
    I started my PGCE in September 2017, and had to defer the end of my training due to medical reasons as you, after passing my first placement (hardly) in february 2018. My health is not cleared up yet even if I am better. If I restarted - maybe next February 2019, I doubt I will pass it, being not completely fit.

Hence my questions :
    - did you get fundings to repass your failed placement ?
    - Can you defer for more than a year in some uni (in mine it is limited to once) ?
    - Do you know if you transfer for 1 uni to the other ?
    - What's your experience ? Did you finally managed to resit and get fundings for that ?

Thanks

Juliette

5. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

I believe you do get funding for a retake. Speak to your university.