1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resitting A Levels; at your current work place, is this possible?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by strawbs, Jun 7, 2011.

1. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

A few staff at my school/s have sat GCSEs alongside the students. Others have done evening courses at the local college.

2. I think doing at a local college may be a better bet...maybe a tad odd sitting exams with my current students!

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I've sat an exam with my students - it was fine.

4. There was an article in TEs a few years back about teachers doing exactly that, sitting exams alongside students from their school. They weren't resits of their original subjects though, they were new courses they'd just decided to take. I keep considering taking AS physics since I didn't do it at school and quite often have to teach GCSE higher tier physics and being a bit older now a good chunk of what I studied at GCSE has now made it onto AS level. Even more amusing I studied an aspect of A2 physics in my GCSE chemistry many moons ago. I will get round to it one day when I have a bit of time to actually study!

5. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

There was - and I was in it!
    I taught my students the course and they insisted that I should take the exam with them. It seemed like a fair arrangement really. One day, I'll sit the A level that I teach that I don't have an A Level in - the only problem I have is having to do all the coursework :-(

6. The shelf life of whatever A-levels you did 18 years ago will long have expired. Go for it. If you fail (God forbid) and THEN have to resit alongside your students, then that might be amusing...