1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resigning

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by fabadababa, Feb 24, 2019.

1. fabadababa

fabadababa New commenter

I'm a long-time reader of the threads on here and have found them really useful for advice and to know that I'm not the only one desperately unhappy in my job. With my husband's support, I decided at Christmas that I would leave at Easter. I have had enough of the dread and the anxiety, and have become crippled by the lack of both autonomy and support (which I've found is quite a catastrophic combination). So I've kept on going and have made it to the last week of February, and will hand in my resignation letter by Thursday (28th). I've used the template from this website (short and professional) and will leave with my head held high. There'll be no drama - I'll just say I'm ready for a new challenge (which is true).
    So I spent half term applying for a few non-teaching jobs and fingers crossed it will pay off. I know I won't earn what I'm on now but I have a mortgage to pay so if I have to, I'll go on supply to pay the bills. But I feel like a cloud is about to lift and I'm looking forward to a fresh start. Just thought I'd put this out there, as it may help someone else who feels that they're stuck :)

2. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

I'm happy for you, taking such a positive step. Very best wishes.

3. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Congratulations! All the best in your new ventures. I am trapped by the need for maternity pay but formulating my 'get out' plan.

4. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

All the very best to you in the future. When a situation becomes impossible it is right to move on.

Well done on already getting in some job applications, that can be hard to do when you have your existing workload. Keep trying different doors, there is a big world out there ...

5. thin_ice

thin_ice New commenter

Well done @marish.
    I posted here about leaving it too late. The stress you get if you can’t afford to leave is massive. I’ve had co-workers in a real dilemma. They desperately want to quit but don’t want to let the family down. Nervous breakdown territory.

I also say on here, that if you hate the job, leave. I get called smug for saying it but you have proved that if you have courage and support it can be done. If more teachers did this maybe it would wake up the government and the poor school leaders.

You’ve given yourself the autonomy your job didn’t give you.

Good luck with the next step in your life.

6. thin_ice

thin_ice New commenter

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Good for you!

fabadababa and agathamorse like this.
  8. Pilchard1408

Pilchard1408 New commenter

What jobs to apply outside teaching?

9. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Good luck!

10. biopie

biopie New commenter

I wish you all the best, I am in the same boat but have been off sick with stress- depression and anxiety caused by an incompetent, bullying head. I am about to write my resignation and I am leaving at easter. Feels amazing. Looking forward to a working life outside teaching!

11. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I hope all goes well for you. You've obviously put a lot of thought into your decision and you've started the process which is always the hardest part. You post seems very upbeat and positive and with that perspective on a new challenge I'm sure you'll succeed.

jlishman2158 and agathamorse like this.
  12. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I hope all goes well for you. You've obviously put a lot of thought into your decision and you've started the process which is always the hardest part. You post seems very upbeat and positive and with that perspective on a new challenge I'm sure you'll succeed.

jlishman2158 and Jamvic like this.
  13. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Good luck @biopie.
    I left but came back after a while. Leaving was the best thing I ever did, for me, at that time.
    Resigning was liberating.

We get a bit precious in this profession about moving out and onwards. During my time out, in sales, several people left to work other careers (not just selling something different) and there wasn’t the guilt/ shame/ disappointment/ anger that we seem to have. It was seen as the next step in your life.

‘Your leaving. So what?’ was the mantra.

Enjoy the last few months in teaching, but really embrace being out of it.

jlishman2158, Shedman and agathamorse like this.
  14. rawblonde

rawblonde New commenter

I've left teaching and done a non teaching job. I'm currently on supply and about to start a new adventure on 1 April with a new permanent post (teaching but not school based). Happy to share experiences/look over CVs/offer advice as needed. Feel free to PM.

Presleygirl and jlishman2158 like this.
  15. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

May I PM you as I am on the same boat(ish)

16. rawblonde

rawblonde New commenter

absolutely! PM away

17. rawblonde

rawblonde New commenter

or rather, start a conversation

18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I decided I would leave a school once after a series of awful experiences in a school where there was no discipline and no support. Actually it was when my form's Christmas decorations were ripped to shreds by three yobs in Year 10 and the message F*** You was scrawled on my board that I decided enough was enough.

I resigned first day back after Christmas for the Summer (why I decided not to go at Easter I'm not really sure). I bought a wall calendar and went into survival mode - every day when I got home I would cross the day off - it became a ritual.

Things didn't get a lot better - one of the DHs had a complete nervous breakdown - one of the Maths teachers was assaulted (the perpetrator wasn't punished in any way) and many staff left.

But I made it - it gave me a lot of pleasure to walk out of the school on the last day knowing that I wouldn't have to come back. About a third of the staff left as well - the leaving "do" went on for a couple of hours.

I've never even been back to the town - let alone the school.

19. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

It seems like you need a fresh start which you are attempting to do by resigning, so I wish you all the best. Have you considered what type of roles you’d like to do?

20. fabadababa

fabadababa New commenter

Good for you! Good luck - hope it all works out for you x