1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resigning without new post?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Barry's twin, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Barry's twin

Barry's twin New commenter

Has anyone ever done this?, how did it work out?. Behaviour getting out of control at current school.

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Yep.

Resigned, discussed it politely with HT. Then signed up to agency and was sent to an interview. Given a permanent contract. This was within two weeks of resigning.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Yes. Spent a term without a job. Then got one and remained in work (not all in the same post) until I retired 7 years later.

4. lsmith21

lsmith21 New commenter

Me too!
    Was 'Head-Hunted' within 48 hours. Am still with new employer 3 years later
    BEST thing I did in 30-odd years of teaching!

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Yes - but not for reasons to do with school.

Took some time out - did a year on supply and then got another permanent teaching position.

6. Barry's twin

Barry's twin New commenter

Brilliant, great to hear positive outcomes, makes the decision easier. Thank you

Shedman likes this.
  7. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I suppose much depends on finance. Reading various threads on here, there seems to be less supply work around than there was a few years ago. Would you be ok if you were a few weeks without work? Or if you could only get a couple of days a week for a while? If so, then I'd say do what you feel you need to - life is too short to be stuck in a job you hate every day. Good luck!

jlishman2158 and Shedman like this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

But - be aware - it can be very stressful - especially in the interim period.

9. BlackCountryLass

BlackCountryLass New commenter

Are you in a shortage subject like maths or science?

10. BlackCountryLass

BlackCountryLass New commenter

Hi Peakster - when you were applying for jobs after a year on supply, did you get asked at interview why you had left your job?

11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

OP-Especially if you are resigning without something to go to and you are resigning on the back of an ugly situation which finally leaves you feeling that you just want out, make sure that you check with your employer that they are happy to provide a reference, if possible in a face to face nice amenable chat.

12. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Barry's twin- sounds like you are giving it very careful thought but also give your Union a quick ring.

mothorchid likes this.
  13. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

14. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Might be a good idea, esp. as you will need a reference from your current HT.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Yes - I went to look after my parents for a bit who were struggling at the time with their health and other issues.

I didn't have a choice really - family comes first.

I only went back to work after they recovered enough for me to do so.

Lara mfl 05 and catbefriender like this.
  16. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I did and joined a supply agency. I was sent to a school initially for 2 weeks and ended up staying for nearly 5 years.

Lara mfl 05 and CWadd like this.
  17. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

I've recently resigned with no job to go to. Looking to get out of teaching.
    Big risk but don't enjoy teaching anymore and my class is awful.
    So do it if it you think it is the right thing to do.

BlackCountryLass likes this.
  18. katelewis1008

katelewis1008 New commenter

Resigned, had a term of bits of supply and making lots off applications. Permanent job then started the term after.

About to do the same again.

I need the pressure of a deadline and no safety net to make a change else I'd just plod on unhappy.

I've never been able to do the sensible thing of moving directly from post to post - I find the resignation dates too restrictive and the choice of jobs limited.

Good luck!

19. mrswallow

mrswallow Occasional commenter

Been there, done that. Got a job a week or so after resigning from school, with a provider for looked after children/ children in care. I was prepared to 'go on supply' for a bit and see what happened, but as an interesting job came up I apply on spec.

20. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Occasional commenter

I've done it. I would do it again. If you feel your mental health is being affected then it's just not worth it. It's only a job.