1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resigning without new job in place - terrible idea?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by onbekende, Jan 1, 2017.

1. onbekende

onbekende New commenter

@TheoGriff
    I've applied for 7 and had interviews for 5 HoD positions over the last year. Unfortunately, I haven't got anywhere, though I got very positive feedback from a couple of them, and it's been a learning experience. Not expecting sympathy by the way, just setting out a context.

Unfortunately, and again, I suppose this is just life, since they have known I'm looking, things have been a little less easy at my school, for example a bit of a rubbish timetable this academic year with more year 7 and 8 and less senior teaching than I've ever had. I was told this was to ensure continuity for exam classes and I do sort of see that point, but it does make me want to get a new job faster than ever!

I debated the idea of resigning on 1 September in the hope that a maternity position might come up which would be a good way in but decided against it. Sod's law: two local ones starting January did come up and would have been ideal, but obviously having not given notice I wasn't in a position to take them. Frustrating.

I'm again debating just resigning on first day of term this term and seeing what comes up maternity-wise or otherwise for April. I have enough savings to manage till September anyway, and even if I had to take a non-management role in another school, I feel the time is right for a change.

One teaching friend/colleague, however, has told me she thinks this is a terrible idea, even if I can manage financially. Her rationale is that if I don't manage to get a job before I work out my notice, it will be very awkward to explain why I left, and will reflect badly on me as though there is some big 'elephant in the room' undeclared problem that caused me to leave my current school. What do people think? Is this really likely to have a negative effect with recruiters?

2. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

Unless conditions in your current school are so bad you can't face the day to day then you would be better off staying and applying for new jobs, management or otherwise, for next September. If you want a HoD role, it will be more difficult to achieve if you left your current job with nothing to go to without a really good reason and even then it would be more difficult.

I left a job without anything to go to and did manage to get a HoD but I had previous experience of the role, a good reason for leaving and they needed an experienced HoD and I was the only game in town.

3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

depends on your subject and location, really, around here there are around 20 HOD roles vacant within a few miles.

onbekende likes this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I'm assuming, since you need to give notice on the first day of term, that you are in an independent school. The next couple of months are the prime time for September roles to be advertised, so stay where you are and get applying.

It is always easier to get a post if you are in a post, so you would be doing yourself a massive disservice by handing your notice in before securing something new. Your friend is correct.

Look carefully at why you haven't been successful and what the weaknesses in your application were. Work on those and make your application and interview fantastic.

Good luck.

onbekende and wanet like this.
  5. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I agree with your friend. Not a great deal to say other than that....

Your optimism is based on what as well. I ask, and no offence intended, due to the fact you have applied for 7 hod jobs, and not even been selected for two of them for interview..

I also wonder whether this is a good thing to use your savings on. Never know what enforced issue is round the corner

onbekende likes this.
  6. install

install Star commenter

You have stated that you got as far as the interview stages for 5 HOD interviews. Build on the feedback you have had ...

Keep on looking and build up your experience if this is what you want. Do not leave until you have secured a position though.

7. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

What your colleague has told you is right. I wouldn't advise anyone resigning without a firm job offer in place. Good that you've got savings to supplement you for a couple of months but what if you continue to be unsuccessful at sourcing a new job, the longer you are out of employment, the less employable you are and you have the risk of having no money and going into financial ruins.
    January is when schools start recruiting for September starts so use this to your opportunity and start or continue applying for jobs. Schools want the best talent so that's why they will recruit for months in advance to snap this up instead of waiting until the 2nd week in May when they've only got 2 weeks to appoint a teacher who is bound to the resignation deadline of May 31st.

onbekende, install, DYNAMO67 and 2 others like this.
  8. onbekende

onbekende New commenter

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I can see you're probably right. Must admit I thought getting an interview 5/7 times was reasonable going until @DYNAMO67 cast doubt on it! As a few of you say, quite a few of the jobs advertised now do seem to be September starts, and there should be more in the pipeline so I'll keep trying...

install likes this.
  9. install

install Star commenter

5 out of 7 interviews is impressive in my book OP- keep at it and listen to feedback OP.