1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resigning without a job to go to.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by big pointy stick, May 6, 2008.

1. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Do you have any idea what you'd like to do instead?

2. I did it!
    I have no dependants, but did have a mortgage and all the associated bills to pay. I thought about it long and hard, and decided that it was better for me to do that than be miserable every day (which was how I was feeling).
    After 2 months without working (I was signed up with a supply agency, but after my new CRB taking 6 weeks to come through I didn't get any work) I ended up in a fantastic job (out of teaching) and know I made the right decision for me.
    Only you can really decide if it will be the right decision for you.

3. The only thing to fear is fear itself. You wouldn't have left your job if it was right for you so you must have done the right thing. Often you have to create a space for something good to come and fill it! Good luck!

4. I was in the same boat yesterday....but handed in my notice today. I'll be honest, I'm a bit worried about the lack of job but there are plenty jobs out there where I live. I know it was the right thing to do as I hate going to work and have done for a long time now. I say go with your instinct. Life's too short to be miserable in you job.

5. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I did it five years ago to save my sanity. I was being bullied and after having proved myself, I did a really cool, dignified thing (or so it seemed at the time) and resigned nobly. Desperately unhappy andconsidering the unthinkable.
    As sole earner for then family of five it was a bit hair raising, as I wasn't entitiled to benefits because I'd made myself intentionally jobless, apparently. Also,the benefits office ******** up my claim for child tax credit and said they didn't owe me anything, when they actually did. In the end, it cost me hundreds of pounds - my teeny savings of a couple of thou were soon gone on food and bills. I did a bit of supply, but that made finances even more complicated. I insisted on declaring everything absolutely properly and they really messed me about. One HT even managed to get out of paying me for a full week's supply while I was doing 0.5 maternity cover in another class.
    It was a horrible time and I had no support from people who told me I had been selfish and I ought to get out of teaching.
    Thing is, if I hadn't done it, I wouldn't have been available to apply for the job I have now and love so much.

If things are completely intolerable, then you have to leave. If there is any other option, then take that.
    Either way, get union support and advice; never just walk away without considering alternatives

6. I know any comment from me might push the opposite way simply because its me lilac.
    However, I have done what you are thinking about - and I wouldn't do it again.
    I was lucky because I had a husband to support me and I even checked with him and had his support before I did it. The situation was intolerable. It wasn't hell hole teaching that drove me to resign - in fact as hell holes went the place I worked was comparatively sedate and gentile.
    Its better to stay because it is generally easier to walk from one job into another than it is to get a job when you are not employed on a permanent basis or in a job where you have built up some sort of record.
    It is easier to get a job from position of having a job than it is from doing supply. If you do supply it is often the schools perception that there is something wrong ( maybe rightly sometimes I dont know). some schools may love you as a supply but wont want to give you a job. Also on supply more than three months in my experience - and I did supply after quitting my job because I couldnt stand it - and you virtually become unemployable.
    There is the issue of references too. In a job at least you have a reference. A supply reference doesnt seem to carry weight.
    The employment situation now is not what it was when I quit. I wouldnt do it now without at least having go something to go to. Quite often, you might be able to pick up a part time post ( if you can afford it ) and that is better than doing supply because when applying elsewhere it looks more suitable and can be more easily explained.
    Also, the issue of leaving because you find a job and cant give notice. It is possible to negotiate an early release from your school for a new job. I have done that a couple of times.
    I dont know the circumstances that are causing you to want to leave. The last time I mentioned how challenging your school was you beat me over the head with a bucket so I wont do that again. But of course jobs in our area are now fewer even in shortage areas and you dare I say it are more expensive to employ so you have the traditional discrimination of costism going against you.
    Whilst things are as they are, it might be worth sitting tight in my opinion. When they ease and work is more readily available, thats the time to go. Thats just my opinion. It isnt easy getting a job now . Out of teaching I would say almost impossible. In teaching not so easy. Many schools in the state sector are cutting back and even making redundancies ( half of your neighbouring county is doing that right now!) and most will rather get an NQT for costs. Private schools are being circumspect as well.
    I know its hard and I know what I am suggesting may feel even harder. Best advice. Take it one day at a time and work from half term to half term. Take a day off when you need to ( *** the school. Do only what you are contracted to do. It may make them more ready to actually help you get another post)

7. impis

impis New commenter

I did it 5 years ago. In fact, 8 teachers left my 2 form entry primary school that year. In a letter to parents, the HT claimed we'd all left to gain promotions. She lied.
    I vowed never to have a permenant contract again. No one was going to be in the position to damage me the way she had. I signed up with a few supply agencies, who were all very supportive, and sympathetic. They have loads of experience of teachers who've been bullied out of their jobs - so there's no need to worry that they will be judgemental.
    The first school I went to, [very reluctantly as it is a special school, and I had no specific SEN training at the time] was my last. I went for the day, and have been there ever since. The new staff were very supportive, and some had backgrounds similar to mine. The HT was very good at rescuing lost souls and giving back their self respect. He valued and celebrated the kids achievements, and the acheivements of his staff. A very special man indeed! Even so, it took him 2 terms to persuade me to stay.
    It is very scary - to give up the 'security' of a permenant job - but what about the security of your well being? If the thought of going to work makes you feel physically sick every morning, if you feel fearful and begin to doubt yourself - you need to leave.
    References? Better to have the opportunity to develop a positve work experience somewhere else and use that as a reference point, than to have a reference from a post you hated. My bullying HT tried to scupper my future by givning me a dreadful reference, but fortunately, it contradicted, completely, with a reference from another senior teacher from my school. My current LEA and all the supply agencies, had all come across this before - and I was surprised just how understanding they all were.
    Take care. As others have said, it can work out well, or it can be very difficult. At the end of the day, if your current workplace is making you ill, and the cause is unlikely to change, then you need to leave.
    Which is the scarier prospect? Leaving or staying? For me, it was staying which was the scariest thing.

8. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I did exactly this. I couldn't have coped for another day beyond the end of term at my old school. I put my notice in and joined a supply agency. I was getting paid through August anyway, but took on extra office work over the summer, at a local police station. In The September, I got a few days supply at the beginning of term, then got an interview for a maternity cover post. I got that job and began almost immediately. Come May, when the Maternity post came to an end, I was asked to stay on as general supply within the school, covering some English and some humanities. I agreed. In the June, I was offered a permanent post within the English department. Although life at my school is quite highly pressurised, I'm much happier than at my previous job.

9. Best move I ever made when I did it!
    I don't think it is teaching you hate however, but teaching there! I've said for a long time that you should change schools. You've critisised me in the past for moaning when I am in a situation 'better than yours' so you must realise that it is about your school and the pressures?
    *******.... how could you write a reference for lil?

10. Grit your teeth and apply for things from a position of strength i.e. in employment.
    Now is not a good time to be job searching.

11. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

It's difficult to give advice: I'm not you, but I would suggest that if the job makes you ill, and you feel physically distressed going in every day, you should leave.

Well being matters more than money.

12. No doubt about the idea that well being comes first. Your well being may be severely hampered by having no job. Soul- destroying experience searching for work.

13. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

It may be that you noticed, but if you hadn't, this thread by lil was started a year ago. I'm not sure the great advice she's now being given is relevant...
    And not sure why mango thingy upped it?
    [​IMG]

14. Oh Bum I hadn't noticed at all!
    So what did you do in the end?

15. I know Lilac.

16. Thats interesting. I had not noticed this but I could have sworn I was reading this thread a couple of weeks ago and it was new then. has Lilac posted a more recent one on the same topic? I have tried looking but cannot find anything, Not sure what forum I saw it in though.
    That said, as far as I am aware things did not change last year and I am guessing the problems in her school have not changed either.
    Would be interested in knowing.

17. I know lil too but I doubt that would enable me to be in a position to write a professional reference for her!

18. I have a friend who I have met once, e mailed a number of times over the years ( have had a computer on the internet since 1995 ) and who wrote a reference for my last job. He didnt have an issue with it and neither did I. I would say he knew me better professionally ( and personally for that matter) than my Head Teacher in my last school, especially considering my HT had been in post less than a year at the time.
    I would have no problem writing a reference for Lilac if she wanted me to do so. I would do my best to make it both honest and a good reflection of her skills and her as a person. I would have no issue whatsoever in claiming I could write her a good and professional reference if she wanted me to do so and I could do it in good conscience.
    Its your decision and a reflection of how well you feel you know lilac. Thats OK too.

19. No beef with you *******, or lil for that matter, but what DO you know about her 'prefessionally'? This is nothing to do with individuals but just something I think would be very unfair for other candidates, the new school and you if it is done through no real knowledge apart from a 'friendship' on the internet! I quite frankly think it is completely dishonest but if this is the way things are done by others in education, and is acceptable, then maybe I should get some random to write my references!

20. or even professionally!!! oops!!!