1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resigning whilst on sick leave

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by neathteach, Jul 27, 2015.

1. I am at present on long term sick due to medical reasons. Due to these medical reasons, I am thinking about resigning and doing supply work.

do I have to give the same notice as I would if I was actually at work?

I would like to finish in the October half term. Any advice please?

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Of course you have to give the same notice - how could it be otherwise? Your contract of employment hasn't changed just because you're off sick.

It might be that your current head would agree to release you, however, so the sooner you ask the question, the better your chances of being released.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm very sorry to hear of your health problems, Neathteach. I do hope that you are following medical advice on how to get back to full health.

Now for your questions:

Yes you do. Which if you are in a maintained school following the general rue, means resigning by 31 October for 31 December. This may be different in indy schools, academies or free schools, however, so look at your contract.

Leaving dates and resignation dates

This is not a recognised leaving date. However, as MM says, your school might be open to allowing this.

Missing the resignation deadline

Asking to leave earlier than your contractual leaving date

But you really need to start talking to people about this. First to your Dr, to make sure that you are doing the right thing for your personal wellbeing. Then to your Union, to check on your financial situation and ensure that you get a reference that is fair and honest. And then to your Headteacher, to ask about the possibility of leaving early, i.e. at October half term.

And do read this, in case this is relevant to you:

Settlement Agreements (formerly known as Compromise Agreements)

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.