1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resigning TLR

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Bmackender, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Bmackender

Bmackender New commenter

Hi,
    I currently work for a good school and last year took on a TLR of assistant head of year.
    For the post I get TLR 1 and a 1 hour reduction on my timetable but I surrender every break, lunch and free to my pastoral work and have to do all of my teaching "bits" marking etc. outside of school hours.
    I work probably on average a 75+hr week and am still behind.
    I want some advice - do I "give up" my TLR, provided I am allowed to, or what?
    I have had a discussion about the workload with the head of behaviour before I was told to man up and that the money I get paid in TLR is compensation for the time I spend on tasks outside school.
    I am looking to start a family and don't know how to balance all the stress of work and home. I am having difficulty sleeping, am constantly ill and suffer from stomach and chest pains frequently.
    Thanks x

2. livingstone83

livingstone83 Occasional commenter

TLR 1, what's that? About £10,000?

Only you can make the decision really. It's a fair bit of money you're getting for it, but it's coming at a price.
    If it was me, the first thing I'd do is ask for an additional timetable reduction - I don't think an extra free sounds enough.
    Then have a look at how to slim down your operations but still remain effective. Are you marking too regularly, too in depth? A lot of the pastoral care, can that be done by form tutors?

3. Bmackender

Bmackender New commenter

I get £2460 for TLR one - I am sort of like a pastoral second in department.
    I have streamlined to the max but seem to get nowhere :(
    x

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Is the a standard TLR1, according to STPCD? If so, you are being done. "the annual value of a TLR1 must be no less than £7,853 and no greater than £13,288"
    But your role does not sound like a TLR1 post.

Nobody should have to do the hours you do. Unless there is a way of streamlining the role significantly, which you say is not possible, then I would give it up, if you are allowed to.

agathamorse and grumpydogwoman like this.
  5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I suspect any pastoral role is even worse than the standard teaching role for filling every moment you allow it to. You are entitled to a lunch break - make sure you get one. Decide when you are unavailable at break/lunch and stick to it. You might find that some issues get resolved by others while you are taking your break.
    Talk to other AHoYs and ask how they manage it.
    You could try going back to the HoB and say that you're quite prepared to man-up but you haven't signed a waiver on the working time directive, you're working over 75 hours a week, and that you need some advice on how to reduce that. Or is there someone else you could talk to who might be more supportive. Worth talking to your union rep, too.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

What a ******! TLR should be known as Teachers Losing Realism. Once you’re UPS / TLR, this provide permission to any school to make you eat and breathe education as long as they want you too. If the TLR position is making you unhappy, relinquish the role and stick with everyday teaching, or move into a different school.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

I haven't taken a TLR precisely for the reasons that you have broached, not worth it for £2500.

(I have a colleague who is doing a TLR1 Pastoral role for free for a year in order to gain the experience she was told she did not have when they turned her down for the position for not having the experience necessary. Whisky Tango Foxtrot.)

BioEm, tsarina and grumpydogwoman like this.
  8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

So, assuming that's an annual sum, you're getting £205 extra per month gross, or £164 after income tax, not to mention NI and pension contributions.

When I was a supply teacher 5 years ago, a day's paid to scale work (I was UPS3) came in at £180+ gross, so you're being paid for about an extra day's work every month.

Sort of puts it into perspective doesn't it? Frankly you could earn more than that by taking a day or two off every month to flog old gear on eBay - I know, I've done it.

Only you can decide what the proper price for all that additional workplace stress is.

agathamorse and grumpydogwoman like this.
  9. 576

576 Established commenter

Excellent advice.
    People can and do give up TLRs.
    Personally, I value time more than money.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Being told to "man up" is not acceptable. You mention chest & stomach pains so this situation is obviously taking its toll. For the extra you are being paid it really doesn't seem worth it to me. You have to put your health first and you know this or you wouldn't be posting about it. What's money if you wont have the health to enjoy it?
    You already know the answer.

Mermaid7, BioEm and agathamorse like this.
  11. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

You are working 75 hours a week (or more)

A reasonable working week is 40 hours, or thereabouts.

Of course, the school year is a little bit shorter than the general year, but even allowing for that, you are working about 25 hours extra per week for £2500 per year. What's that - about £2.50 per hour?

I think maybe you should balance this against the minimum wage requirements.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. Bmackender

Bmackender New commenter

Thank you all for all your advice. Today has not been good and so I have contacted my union rep and am also going to go home at 4pm instead of my usual 6:30pm and try to take minimal work home. Thank you all for your advice x

Bedlam3, BioEm, Geoff Thomas and 3 others like this.
  13. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

If you like the school and want to stay there, lose the AHoY role. Particularly if you are hoping to be pregnant fairly soon. Concentrate on the teaching.

14. 1cherries

1cherries New commenter

Nice cars them TLrs - but - joking aside my TLR is exam marking I earn £6000+ a year - an annual wage for some people in Rotherham- I 'm my own boss and I don't get it in the neck from some jumped up bearded jobs worthy line manager . As my Union mate used to say:- promotion is demotion!!!!

15. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

That will only work if there is someone else able and willing to take up the role. Otherwise they won’t let you drop just the TLR bit. You won’t know if you don’t ask.

strawbs likes this.
  16. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

as @Sundaytrekker says, there does really need to be somebody willing to take on the TLR role as technically now your job is not "teacher of x", but "teacher of x plus Assistant HoY".
    However there are many who post her who have done it (I have), and others who would argue that you should just be able to drop the TLR role anyway. Having a chat with your in school rep sounds a good idea - they may know of someone in school who has done something similar.
    PS i would certainly take issue with the "man up" phrase, whatever your gender!

17. BioEm

BioEm Occasional commenter

“have had a discussion about the workload with the head of behaviour before I was told to man up and that the money I get paid in TLR is compensation for the time I spend on tasks outside school.”

This echoes with me so much as this time last year I was told much the same when I had taken on a similar role at the start of the academic year. Any telling the HoD that I was stressed or overwhelmed was met with derision, being told that everyone was stressed and overworked and often ended up with her managing to offload more of her workload onto me somehow.

My first stop was speaking to HR about what would happen if I resigned the TLR and (in my place at least) I was informed that I’d probably end up going down to part time hours if I resigned the TLR and no one took it up, so I’d not only end up losing the TLR money but my full time wage would drop to part time too (and all the associated pension knock ons etc). Ultimately it didn’t even matter as I left teaching at the end of the last academic year but it’s worth warning you that could be a possible outcome for you too (not leaving teaching, but the knock on effects of giving up a TLR on your hours and wages).

Best thing to do is speak to HR about it and go from there. There’s no harm in asking what might happen ‘if’ after all - you can just say you’re exploring options. Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    drek likes this.
  18. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

With respect, if you are having to do 75 hour weeks and are still sinking then the money you get for the TLR is what you are being paid for the TLR because it sure as hell aint compensation.

19. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Lead commenter

I couldn't agree more. I gave up my TLR about 8 years ago - best decision I ever made.

thekillers1 likes this.
  20. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I don't know if you are male or female but you could have severe difficulties starting a family if you are working 75 hours a week. Drop the TLR if they'll let you and if they say no, you might have to consider leaving your post.
    The head of behaviour's comments are unacceptable.