1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resigning in April and summer pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by nataliehad, Apr 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. nataliehad

nataliehad New commenter

I have handed in my resignation and am due to leave my school on the 30th of April. I am leaving because I got a job abroad. Am I entitled to any of my 'summer pay' since my salary was divided by 12 months? The way I thought it worked out was that my wage was split over the 12 months, so since Im not working up until the end of the year, I am owed a portion of my wage which has been saved for my two months summer wages? Or is it that because im leaving early, the school just gets to keep it/doesnt have to pay it me?

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I think you'll find that, if you leave on 30 April, you don't get paid for August! :D Sorry...

(But, as these days some of the groups running schools seem so unprofessional, you can always ask and hope they slip up - then take the money and run!)

nataliehad likes this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You have been paid for the October half term, the Christmas holidays, the February half term and the Easter holidays. This is already more than the statutory paid holiday entitlement, so you are not entitled to anything more.

Sorry to disappoint you!

I will add that the school is not "getting to keep" any money of yours. It owes you nothing.

By the way - are you still working at the school until 30th April? You must be looking forward to the new life abroad - good luck for a great time there.

Best wishes for the new job

nataliehad likes this.
  4. nataliehad

nataliehad New commenter

Oh damn! I thought just as much, but just wanted to make sure i dont leave anything behind! They have already taken enough from me! (Stressed new teacher woes) haha
    Thanks for your reply.

5. nataliehad

nataliehad New commenter

Worth a shot hey?! ;) haha

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It is quite likely that they will have to pay it to your replacement, unless they take on supply just for the term.

Go on, I dare you!;)

7. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

***Eye roll***