1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resigning from TLR?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by shellary, Jul 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. shellary

shellary New commenter

I'm after some advice about whether it is possible to resign from a TLR responsibility (Year group leader) but remain as a class teacher? Would I have to resign from my whole post? Or is it up to individual headteachers? Thanks in advance :)

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I know that in my own school (an independent) that a previous HOY did step down, but it depends on your contract and HT, I would think.

3. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

Would you know if there is a natural successor within your school? That would make it easy for the head to swap your post and to a teaching timetable. Otherwise, as we end the academic year, the head would have to reshuffle and that may not be possible because of the disruption it could cause. I don't think you would have to resign outright - otherwise the school would be a teacher short (on the assumption you're in primary).

Talk to the head and be prepared to express the reasons to them as positively as you can (as you've not mentioned them here). You lose nothing from opening the conversation - if that is sincerely what you want.

Pomz likes this.
  4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

As said above - best advice is to talk to your HT and explain you no longer wish to undertake the additional duties that the TLR is paid for.

They will, most likely, either be pleased or try to talk you out of it, dependent on your circumstances.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

You can resign a TLR but I'd guess that you'd need to give the same notice as for the day job (ie. you can be stuck there until Christmas).

Also is there a worst case scenario? The HT lets you step down with immediate effect, stops paying you the TLR, and then all staff and pupils treat you like you're doing it anyway as there is no replacement. This depends on who wants to step up and how kind and thoughtful the head is.

6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You can't technically resign the TLR without resigning the post. In practice, provided they can find someone else on the current staff to take on the TLR, most heads will allow it.
    If there is nobody suitable already on the staff, they'd need to look externally, and so then they would need your whole post to advertise, and you'd also have to stick with it until Christmas. (That's more likely in secondary, where the pool of suitable people for any given responsibility is smaller. In primary, it's easier as there's probably someone on the staff ready for promotion - although you've left it rather late if they would need to switch year groups and classes have already been allocated.)

Rott Weiler and wanet like this.
  7. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

It's completely up to the Head and the governing body - if they can find somebody on the staff to do it instead of you (-who is good enough to do it -) they might agree. All you can do is ask - in writing. I did it.

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes, this. [The missing thumbs up symbol]

You cannot unilaterally resign just the your TLR. People cannot resign bits of their job and go off and do a different job in school without the head's agreement. Your only right under your contract is to resign your whole job.

But if the head agrees then any changes to your job are possible. It needs both sides to agree it though. In practice heads are usually willing to consider this rather than force an unwilling TLR postholder to continue doing it. The key to getting the head's agreement isn't your needs but who can take over the role.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    Piranha likes this.
  9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Ah, yes. The scenario whereby nobody is paid to perform the tasks. But guess what? The tasks will have to be done anyway!

Just ask. And watch out for the following:
    "That's a shame but I think we can accommodate you. I shall probably have to ask Norman/Norma to take it on. But you're SOOOO good at the thingummabobbets that I simply must ask you to carry on with THAT particular task. I'm sure you'll want to. You know. A bit of good will goes a long way, eh?"

10. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

Also, consider how many non-contact periods you get for the role and how your timetable may be filled if you no longer do it...

1 person likes this.
  11. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

This isn't true. You can't resign part of your job unilaterally

12. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Hadn't read the whole thread. Of course, the advice from @Rott Weiler is spot on.

Another case on this thread of people offering *advice* without having a clue of what they are on about, sadly.

wanet and Piranha like this.
  13. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Yes, everyone has said it. It's up to the HT/ governing body. Usually though the Head will say ok if there's someone to take on the role. When I resigned my TLR I put the feelers out in the department and knew there would be at least 2 candidates before I asked the HT.