1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resigning during NQT year

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by charlottelouise5, Sep 23, 2018.

1. charlottelouise5

charlottelouise5 New commenter

Hi all,

NQT here after some advice. I am current completing my NQT year in a lovely supportive school. However, due to my current living arrangements, where I am living 4 hours away from home, I do not think I can handle the stress of the job (whilst living so far away from home).

I know that to finish at Christmas I have until the 31st October to hand my notice in, however I am concerned that leaving after my first term will affect me getting another teaching job at home :/ does this become an issue or are schools still willing to hire me with 2 terms left of my NQT year to complete?

Many thanks

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

It's hard to say.

Schools may be concerned that you're leaving due to struggling as an NQT, so make it clear on job applications that your reason for leaving was simply the need to relocate.

If you do not pass the NQT year then schools have to terminate your employment within a week, so some schools may be put off by that - normally that would be the end of the school year, so not as much impact on the students, but if that would end up being part way through the year then it may put off some schools.

If your current school is lovely and supportive, and your next school is not, it may be very hard to go straight into NQT term 2 at another school because the school will have higher expectations, but everything will be new to you so it'll be hard to hit the ground running.

I left my first school during the NQT year, but that was because I had a horrible time at that school. I managed to get a maternity cover job starting the following September, and although I know they were worried about me they took a chance and everything worked out fine in the end.

So it can be done, but if the school you're at right now is lovely then I'd think twice if at all possible because lots of schools are not lovely!

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It can be done, but the only way to find out is to apply for jobs. I don't think I would recommend resigning without a job to go to. Even if you can cope financially, people might think you left because you weren't up to it.

Good advice. If you do decide to move, only do so if you are convinced that the new school will also be supportive. Some aren't!

You mention living 4 hours away from home. It would help you if you could see where you are living as home. Can you get to know some more people locally and build up a support network where you are now?

agathamorse likes this.
  4. charlottelouise5

charlottelouise5 New commenter

I am living in an area where I went to university, however it is more my flat mate who is causing me many problems and issues, all of which are starting to affect me at work. I am tied into a contract there, so unfortunately would not be able to move into a separate place as I could not afford 2 lots of rent.

I think my main concern is that when looking for a new job at home, which is what I would do, they might not employ me due to me leaving at Christmas?

5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Why not kick out your flat mate?

6. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I would look into moving flats. Talk to the landlord. Can you give notice?

Your next school may not be as lovely as this one.

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

As I said earlier, the only way of finding out is to apply. Some schools might see you leaving after a term as a problem and others wouldn't. If you don't find another job, you won't have lost anything.

If you could get out of your living arrangements and keep the job in the school you like, that would be good, but I don't think we can advise you on how that might be done as we don't know what you are tied into by contract. But if you can get out fairly early, perhaps by the end of the year, that does sound like the best option.

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I don't get how you say you are tied into your contract where you live and yet you seem to be upping sticks and leaving the whole arrangement behind anyway? If you can get another job elsewhere and move out of the flat, why don't you just move out of the flat and stay in that school? Have I missed something?!

On another note, how do you get on with your colleagues? You seem to be a younger teacher (assumption much) but it is entirely possible that somebody at work can help you out. Perhaps somebody has somewhere you could stay, even if only a few nights a week. Perhaps somebody needs another adult around for their kids so they can get out in the evening. Perhaps somebody has a spare room or even a spare home.
    My point is that possible new living arrangements can often surprise you in somewhere as big as a school-plenty of adults, plenty of lovely minds, plenty of people who genuinely want to help anybody else who works there. Perhaps a few lonely people, or people who need skills you have which they don't.

When I started teaching, accommodation often resolved itself as an act of inventiveness and good will. Just network a bit. Put it out there that your flat mate is making life impossible. Maybe someone will help you, but they cannot if they do not know about it.
    Your post is glum, end of your tether, disenfranchised from your original goals. It does not have to be that way.

9. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

I would follow the advice above and ask around re accommodation and see if someone, somewhere is renting a room. You should only need to give a month's notice for rentals as more contracts are like that nowadays and stay with the lovely school.

In 2016 it was reported that 100,000 NQTs have yet to complete induction. Although you may find it easy to get another placement, it's good to be aware that you may not and as mentioned above, the assumption ALWAYS is, you couldn't cope not that you had the Roommate from Hell.

So speak to your mentor and I am sure there is a teacher there with a property s/he has bought as a retirement investment where you could get a room.

You are SO lucky to be in a lovely school and this school could be the ONE and could lead to a long term position, so don't blow the school job, blow the rental and

THE BEST OF LUCK!:)

10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Apply for jobs now and stay in your current place until you get a new one.
    Don't resign before you have a new post sorted out.