1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

resigning due to stress

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by alt1979, May 30, 2012.

1. I am suffering from stress at the moment and have asked to go part time but they are unable to tell me until 13th June which means I miss the resignation deadline. Am I able to resign after that date if it was for reasons of health?

2. I am suffering from stress at the moment and have asked to go part time but they are unable to tell me until 13th June which means I miss the resignation deadline. Am I able to resign after that date if it was for reasons of health?

3. It's up to the headteacher. I expect the answer will be 'yes', especially if they're aware of the reasons and/or you've had time off with stress. Make sure the date you finish, or elect to go part-time, is 31st August, whatever you do. Are you sure this is the best way ahead?
    I suggest you re-post on 'Workplace dilemmas', if you haven't already done so.

4. ferrisbueller

ferrisbueller New commenter

Hi alt1979. Firstly, you are not alone. Stress happens quite frequently through many teachers careers at one time or another.
    A few things to think about first....
    Firstly, are you signed off by your GP for stress? If you are so ill that you feel the need to resign, then you should really be signed off work by your GP.
    Secondly, are you a member of a union. Why are you stressed at work, what are your employers doing to ensure that you aren't stressed? If the stress is because of conditions at work and you feel the need to resign then get some advice related to your working rights.
    Thirdly, you can resign whenever you like if you intend never to teach again. If you do want to return to teaching then it is still possible.
    However, my ultimate advice is that you are ill, just like someone who has broken a leg, and so, you need rest and recuperation. Don't resign, find out your rights first.
    Good luck, and I hope things improve for you.

5. No, resign. The grass can certainly be greener on the other side if you are prepared to take the bold step and formulate a plan for your future. Don't plough on, it doesn't get better if you are not happy teaching in the first place.

6. ferrisbueller

Disagree personally.
    There are many different types of school and different Senior leadership teams. Mental illness can strike anyone, anytime, and not always due to the type of job you do.

7. I have returned from maternity leave to a very different job to that which I left. I have asked to go part time and drop my responsibilities but the SLT say they ant give me a definite answer til 13th June as that is 28days after I wrote the letter. I have spoken to both my union rep and SLT about my stress and the fact that Im struggling to cope but they have done nothing to help.!

8. ferrisbueller

I'm no professional, but have you been to see your GP. From what you say, you are being put in an untolerable position.

9. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I've known people who've been on the verge of breakdowns who have gone on to have successful teaching careers after swapping schools. Sometimes it's where you're working, not the job itself. I agree with Ferris.

10. coppull

coppull New commenter

Your school rep is often not much use in this situation. You need to speak to the local Secretary of your Union or their Regional Centre if you belong to the NUT or NASUWT.
    You can also speak to teacher support network 08000 562561 at anytime.