1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

resigning before finding a new Job - again!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by juliejohnson10, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Hello I am considering relocating to the Midlands, I have been at my present school in London for 5 years as a Year 6 Teacher and Maths Leader. Should I notify my Head Teacher before I start applying for new positions as I am concerned about her response.
    Thank you

2. Erm, will you not need your current head as a reference? The general advice is that yes, mention it to your head, if for nothing else than at least out of general courtesy.

You haven't mentioned why you're considering relocating. But unless it's necessary, I do not think it's advisable given the current job market, unless you already have another job to go to (which it seems you don't).

3. thanks for the reply, is it really that hard for good teachers to get a job? I'm not being funny because I have not been watching the market for sometime, but I would have thought anyone who can demonstrate excellent results\grades\assessments shouldn't have to much trouble finding something...maybe I'm wrong, thanks again

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm afraid, yes it is. And if you're experienced and expensive,can be even more so, as all schools are watching their budgets. Unless you're planning on applying for higher SMT posts, in which case they'll be expecting to pay more and will have budgeted for the same.
    Some schools were experiencing <u>100-200 applications for every advertised posts</u> and some I believe had up to 300, so YES the job market is very different these days.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I can confirm everything that the above posters say.
    Yes, you must tell your Head when you start applying, as you must give him/her as a referee, and No, you cannot ask the other school to only ask for references after the interview.
    Yes, the job market is very difficult fior teachers at present, although . . . inner London and Birmingham, and some areas of Manchester, will be having some increase in EYFS.
    But there are nonetheless large numbers of applicants for posts.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

6. becky70

becky70 New commenter

Yes it is hard but if you are a Maths subject leader with a proven track record you may be able to land a similar post in a primary school in the Midlands.