1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resigning as HOD - advice needed

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sunshine76, Nov 14, 2015.

1. sunshine76

sunshine76 New commenter

Hi, I'm HOD at a large school but in a small dept, just me and 1 other teacher.
    I'm considering resigning as HOD - the usual things - constant demands, no time to plan and teach properly, feeling like I'm watching my back all the time etc. SLT have a track record of forcing out teachers they dislike. My subject is not valued by the school (within performing arts)

I was employed in this role, so don't know if that has any implications for resignation from HOD. As HOD I am on the lowest tlr, so will lose out very little. I am on ups 3 however.

I'm worried about implications of resigning this role, can they refuse to pay me ups3, will they try to get rid of me. I'm suffering from migraines almost constantly at the moment because I feel stressed, and it's mainly from watching my back! Every small mistake is picked up in, and this morning I received an email requesting a meeting during my (only) free next week to discuss PM targets which apparently aren't rigorous enough. . .

Any advice would be welcome . . .

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Be very careful, I suggest. Take advice from your Union at least, first. My thinking is that by resigning from your post as HoD you are resigning from your job & the school - so, unless you intend to do this, think carefully.

As many others on here & elsewhere can attest to, those experienced teachers on UPS3 are very vulnerable to being forced out of their jobs, almost always on spurious grounds.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, that's sad. There was a time when you were just delighted to be made HoD, I guess. It's a pity it has all fallen down.

Well, I'll start actually with a question. You were appointed to the school as HoD ?

If that is your role, what you were appointed to, then resigning will mean just that - resigning and walking away from the school.

You see, in most cases you can't just resign and step down from that post, which is part of the school structure as a TLR, unless there is another post for you to go to. If the other teacher were leaving, you could ask to have that post, and then they advertise for a new HoD with TLR . . . Which they might or might not agree to allow you to do.

But just resigning from your HoD part of your job won't really work, will it, unless the other teacher is a) willing and b) considered appropriate to take it over, because if they have to advertise for a new HoD then there will be 3 of you to cover 2 timetables, and one person will be redundant.

The UP3 issue is a minor one compared to that. The STPCD 2015 says:

14.2. A relevant body must pay a teacher on the upper pay range if:
    a) the teacher is employed in a school as a post-threshold teacher, for as long as the teacher is so employed at that school without a break in the continuity of their employment

So if you remain in that school, you will be on UP3.

This is most certainly NOT the answer that you were hoping for, and I'm sorry about that.

Best wishes

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

As Theo and FF have said, you cannot unilaterally resign your HoD TLR and go back to being a classroom teacher. Your only formal right would be to resign your job and leave the school.

That doesn't mean it can't be done, but it can only be done with the agreement of the head. Head may be willing to let you do that but it will depend - amongst other things - on whether there is a vacancy for a classroom teacher that you could fill.

5. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Is there anyone in school that you could discuss this with before actually resigning? It might just be an issue you can easily rectify without the need to 'quit'. If it's SLT that is the issue, as your post suggests, can you not talk to them to see what they can do? If no pleasure, do go and look for other jobs with a view to resign before December 31st to leave on March 31st (earliest release date) unless of course you agree a compromise with your HT to exit early, bearing in mind that you don't want to burn bridges!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Er, no it isn't.

Resign 28/9 February, release date 30 April.

Unless you are in Scotland, Academy, Free School or Independent which may have a different resignation date. All 3 latter ones have the same release date of 30 April, however, @jago123 .

Leaving dates and resignation dates

Take care with this - could come back and bite you . . .

Settlement Agreements

Best wishes