1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resigning as Chair of Govs

Discussion in 'Governors' started by claire157, Jan 25, 2011.

1. I have been Chair of Govs for about a year and due to work commitments I am really struggling to stay on top of things. Also, from April, I will be starting a new role and won't be able to go into school as much as I do now.
    My main concern is that the school has had two heads in the last two years and four COG in the last three...how would Ofsted view this? Is it worth me continuing so that the school can be seen to have some continuity?
    Any advice as to how to juggle being chair with other commitments would be gratefully received!

2. I have been Chair of Govs for about a year and due to work commitments I am really struggling to stay on top of things. Also, from April, I will be starting a new role and won't be able to go into school as much as I do now.
    My main concern is that the school has had two heads in the last two years and four COG in the last three...how would Ofsted view this? Is it worth me continuing so that the school can be seen to have some continuity?
    Any advice as to how to juggle being chair with other commitments would be gratefully received!

3. Don't juggle if you are dropping balls. I've told the heads of both my schools that I won't be chair after the end of this school year, for much the same reasons (technically I'm not chair of the second until the FGB in a couple of weeks, but it's a foregone conclusion and I hope the schools will federate before the end of the year). It was a difficult decision but the right one for me, and in the end as a volunteer you have every right to scale back or end your commitment if circumstances change. I don't think Ofsted will care how many chairs the governing body has had recently, as long as there is evidence that the collective is doing a good job.

4. staxis

staxis New commenter

If you are struggling to keep on top of the job and OFSTED notice that won't go down too well. More importantly, if you are not satisfied with the job you are doing, stop! You are doing yourself no favours in carrying on.