1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resigning as a staff governor

Discussion in 'Governors' started by Esbe, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Esbe

Esbe New commenter

I've completed my fourth year as a teacher governor (and actually quite enjoyed it), and have been approached by another teacher who would relish the opportunity to take on this role. Has anyone written a resignation letter that they would share and I could compare to mine as I'm not sure I've covered all points!
    Thanks

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Doesn't your term of office as Staff Governor expire automatically after 4 years? That's the normal position. If so you don't have to resign anything. Your term of office expires, you are then automatically no longer a governor, and you aren't standing for re-election.

If you are in an LA maintained school in England then it's up to the staff (all the staff, not just teachers) to elect the Staff Governor. It's normally the head's responsibility to organise the election for Staff Governor, although a ballot isn't necessary if only one staff member puts themselves forward for the post. Staff Governors don't have to be teachers. Support staff (anyone employed at the school) can be the Staff Governor.

You can't just pass the role on to another teacher though! There has to be a proper process of calling for nominations etc (usually staff can self-nominate)

3. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

Also, even if your time wasn't up, you'd just email the CoG and say you'd like to resign as staff governor from 1st July (example) then it's done. There aren't a range of points to cover.

4. afternoonclerk

afternoonclerk New commenter

Not to be pedantic or anything but if your time hasn't automatically expired and you need to resign you need to give notice in writing to the clerk, not the chair...but I agree that there are no points you need to cover, just that you resign.

5. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Last two resignations I have seen: one a one-line email, the other expiry of term of office followed by email exchange: Are you seeking re-election? No.