1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resigning as a Governor

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by cornflake, Oct 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. install

install Star commenter

Agree in part. But the Govs causing the difficulty would be in smaller groups and dealing with 'invited' people regularly. In effect - their negativity is dealt with in a smaller forum. :cool:

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Only if the GB agreed to invite all these other people who aren't governors. Why would they do that?

digoryvenn and nomad like this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

Agree. And to see invited members 'present' different aspects of the school at all levels so that the Govs would improve their knowledge of it of course. Indeed, several schools I have worked in take this approach. The Head of course checks what is being presented first. Its a 'win win' in some cases. :cool:

4. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

Dear Rott Weiler

A lot of the discussion on here re co-opting etc is not relevant, but I will respond to your post which was useful.

It's not a formal Review (we've had one of those before), but support from NLG .. which I have requested and Chair agreed too... in terms of needing some fresh ideas on how to get a functioning GB in place.

And yes, I see the danger in an IEB. I understand that the LA would need to issue a formal warning notice (grounds would be a serious breakdown in the way the school is governed which is prejudicing pupils’ standards of performance).
    As we're not currently OFSTED Inadequate though, my understanding is the RSC has no grounds for intervention - yet.
    We're expecting a S8 any time. My significant worry is that if the HMI visit goes badly (which it will unless something drastic happens with governors very quickly), then they will bring forward S5 anyway; which will lead to forced academisation. Instigating an IEB may demonstrate we are aware of the problem, buy us time; and even improve things for children (which is the main point!)

I recognise that either way, in this day of high stakes accountability, I should have left last year - and not tried to see it through. Staying will most likely have guaranteed the end of my career; however it would have been like the captain abandoning a sinking ship - I couldn't do that to my staff.

5. install

install Star commenter

This makes things alot clearer. If it has got this far - then resign and let someone else steer the ship. It isn't abandoning - its letting someone else lead. So sorry it has got this far for you and the school.. :cool:

6. cornflake

I kind of understand that view: but then why should I have to be without a job because of inadequate governance!
    Our data is not dire (well above floor and better than many "good" schools), but neither is it as good as it should be. We have experienced a number of factors that make us really vulnerable - and governance has deteriorated rapidly over the last 8 months.

7. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I am so sorry Cornflake that this is happening.
    I don't think it will be the end of your career. No you shouldn't have to be without a job because of inadequate governance! It is completely wrong.

Hoepfully, the support from the NLG will help. I think the fact that you have recognised the problems and have some support and an action plan will go in your favour.

Lots of luck.

caterpillartobutterfly and nomad like this.
  8. install

install Star commenter

Sounds like you have Chair of Govs onside at least for now. Maybe try for another school whilst you still can. But you have to accept and take some accountability for a breakdown in relations with the governors of the school on some level. So go - with your head held high. You tried and you did your best. You can do no more. You are only human - move on with your dignity and reputation still intact :rolleyes:

9. cornflake

I'm not clear why you think the HT is responsible for governors install; or why I should be holding them to account - that is not my role!
    I have no powers over recruitment or otherwise; and as a governor, I have no more say in any meeting than any other governor.
    I ensure they have full access to all of the information they require to hold me to account, frequently attempt to get them into school, and have repeatedly supported them to fulfil strategic functions by offering possibilities .. but I can't do their job for them. Otherwise it becomes a platform in which whatever I say goes. That is how corruption happens.
    I don't want a yes-board: that's neither the kind of leader I am or morally right.
    The school needs governors who can demonstrate appropriate support and challenge.
    Which is why exploring the concept of an IEB - even though its a drastic step - is even on the table.

10. install

install Star commenter

Mmmm...the point being made is: it looks like there has been a serious breakdown in communications bewteen the Govs and the Headteacher to the detriment of the school. And Who is accountable for that relationship ? Both the headteacher and the Govs . :cool:

11. Jo1000

Jo1000 New commenter

Poor you cornflake.
    Have you spoken to your union? Mine were quite useful when I had a gov issue where they made an emergency decision, and I did not agree with the way it was carried out.
    Perhaps also look around to see if there is another school you would be interested in, sometimes we need to move on and although wish to improve difficult situations for our staff, we can't
    :(

12. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Cornflake,
    THIS IS NOT YOUR FAULT.

You are not responsible nor accountable for the actions of governors.
    I am so sorry, I know how impossible this situation is for you but keep fighting for what you know is right.

Install, you clearly don't understand the relationships between the GB and HT, your comments are really unhelpful.

13. install

install Star commenter

Sorry . I don' t completely agree with your summary.It isn't about anyone's 'fault' and it would be incorrect to use that term or to blame just one person. It is about leadership by the ht and governors though. And the smooth running of the school.

In my experience, (largely secondary) the relationship between Govs and headteacher is key. I have seen 2 heads lose their posts and in the midst of a breakdown in communications between the ht and govs.

Indeed, in one sch the govs went so far as to contact the LA - such were their concerns with their relationship.with the ht . Of course, Govs should not be 'nodding dogs' but full Govs meetings should never be 'battle grounds' either.

So whilst you may find reality of governing uncomfortable in some schools. I will say it again: in my experience, the head teacher and governors are accountable for their professional relationship and all in ensuring that the school is led smoothly. It isn't nice to hear - but sometimes both the head and govs have to accept the problem may be all of them. That may not be the case here - but it does happen:cool:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  14. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Not being sure of what is driving the problems here, might I suggest you review the way you are running meetings. Find someone who is good at organising tight agendas, enforcing time restrictions on each item and detering members from deviating too far from the things being discussed. If things are getting out of hand, ask people to put their concerns in writing and give them to the chair at least a week before the meeting. If there are things that you can do about the concerns make a simple action plan. For some things such as attendance, behaviour, homework, dress code, complaints from parents and other things governed by policy, ask them to write down what amendments they might like and take a vote on what others approve of ( for consideration ). If pupil performance is poor, try to preempt the inevitable by giving information about interventions that are being used, lack of money for resources, better teachers etc.
    If all this leaves the head and chair strapped for time, look for ways /people you can delegate some of the burden to.

ScienceGuy and install like this.
  15. install

install Star commenter

Great advice. Completely agree here. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.