1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resigning as a Governor

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by cornflake, Oct 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

I am at my wits end with the GB and considering resigning the ex-officio position.
    I appreciate I will still need to attend meetings to present HT reports etc, so is there any point in me resigning (as a governor) or should I just go altogether?

2. R13

R13 New commenter

From an outside point of view a Head resigning from Governors sends a message that the relationship has entirely broken down and the HT has given up on trying to make it work. I don't know what has caused you to contemplate this (Though I can hazard a guess) but would urge you to contact your union and your LA for support in sorting this out. Attendance at future Governors meetings could only be worse if you have resigned from the FGB

Flanks, nomad and digoryvenn like this.
  3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Agree with the above. I know one or two who have done it from the start it I can’t imagine it would end well.

nomad and digoryvenn like this.
  4. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Oh dear, I am so sorry cornflake. I know exactly what you are going through.

I don't think it would be a good idea to resign as a governor. Contact your union, LA and county governor support if you can and ask them to sort it out..

I hope you can sort it out, I couldn't.

nomad likes this.
  5. Jo1000

Jo1000 New commenter

I'd suggest as above, contact union for support. I had an awful governor situation last year, but was worried what would be said if I wasn't there and couldn't vote, IE what decisions would be made and what minutes would reflect.
    Might be best to go altogether.
    Good luck

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Your LA governor services should be able to help, no guarantees though.

I can't see how resigning from the GB would be any help at all. Your GB would most likely still require you to attend the meeting but you'd find yourself there with no vote and no right to speak.

Pomza, Flanks and digoryvenn like this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

Change tact. Treat em to charm and kindness...and plenty of training on how to be governors.

Do you have minor Gov Groups too led by your Deputies that you trust ? This does work in some sec schools. And allows your message to drip feed through by others. If they are starting to 'throw stones at you' maybe its worth trying to also get them training on how to improve their approach, understanding and support - all in the nicest, sweetest and kindest way.:cool:

Pomza and nomad like this.
  8. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

Thanks everyone.
    Perhaps I should have said both myself and the Chair are considering resigning - as we have run out of all ideas. We don't buy LA support as we can't afford it; but have now got a NLG in via another route. They have had training in spades and more.
    If the relationship has broken down, then the LA could convene an IEB I think - which is, in all honesty, probably what is needed at this point.

9. install

install Star commenter

You could always get more staff governors in and appoint more new governors on top in dedicated roles. Get them onside fast .

When you have cliques - sometimes you have to make them see that they do control you.:cool:

10. install

install Star commenter

Edit - 'they do not control you' :cool:

11. Rott Weiler

The head cannot do any of those things.

Jesmond12, digoryvenn and nomad like this.
  12. install

install Star commenter

The Head and Chair of Govs can with agreement 'invite' others in on a regular basis including members if staff. They may of course need to leave for 'Confidential Matters'. In my experience, they can also in 'exceptional circumstances' have additional voted in Govs also with full agreement. The Head can also have smaller Committees that meet up - as long as they still all meet up for ' Full Gov Meets'. These smaller Committies can be ran by a selected person (eg Deputy Head) reporting back. In reality,.there are many ways to 'skin a cat' :cool:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  13. Rott Weiler

The head and chair can't agree any of those things. Not in their power. You cannot vote in additional governors however exceptional the circumstances, in excess of the number specified in the Instrument of Government.

Jesmond12 and digoryvenn like this.
  14. install

install Star commenter

Exactly , they can advertize (with full agreement) if they are not 'in excess' already and applicants apply through the usual channels. Smaller Committees can also be formed as long as they all meet up for Full Govs and report back . Select people can also be 'invited in' on a regular basis. .:cool:

15. install

install Star commenter

Edit - Sadly some Governing Bodies can ' live in a bubble' . By Full Govs meeting 'invited in' staff and seeing and hearing their presentations, it can 'open their eyes'. Indeed, the more the Heads message gets across by this means through others - the better. :cool:

16. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I would be very wary of encouraging the LA to consider an IEB. The first thing they might do is suggest a lack of confidence in the head.

digoryvenn and install like this.
  17. Rott Weiler

Not by the head and the chair. Nor can they set up committees. Nothing has been posted about unfilled vacancies.

Inviting staff to present about the area they lead is certainly a good idea, and if it's not happening I'm sure the NLG review will recommend it. I always recommend it when I am carrying out NLG reviews. But they come in, present, discuss, go. That's very different to having people come in as 'observers' for the full GB meeting. Especially if there is no obvious purpose other than to support the head.

@cornflake I hope the NLG review will move things forward - was it commissioned at the instigation of your GB or was it recommended (or required?) by someone else? If it was something the GB itself wanted to do that is, at least, a positive sign that they recognise the problem and want to solve it. Maybe the NLG will suggest mediation?

I can sense the exasperation that makes you think about an IEB as the way forward cornflake, but be careful what you wish for. The cure could be worse than the disease. If the LA installed an IEB, which it can only do with the approval of the Regional Schools Commissioner, it is a formal judgement that your school is causing concern because (presumably) in their opinion there has been a serious breakdown in the way the school is managed or governed which is prejudicing, or likely to prejudice, pupils’ standards of performance. That can attract further intervention from the RSC and maybe a visit from OFSTED. It might not work out the way you hope.

I assume the LA have not yet issued a formal Warning Notice, which it normally needs to do before it could replace the GB with an IEB.

I'm presuming you are currently an LA maintained school and not planning academy conversion (or is that part of the difficulties with the GB?)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    digoryvenn likes this.
  18. install

install Star commenter

Completely Agree. The last thing needed is the phrase 'due to a breakdown in relations between the Headteacher and the Governors' .:cool:

19. install

install Star commenter

In my experience - They can set up Sub Commitees if the proposal is agreed at Full Govs . Eg Health and Safety that then report back. Best way forward is to increase 'invited members' alot though to Full Govs. :cool:

20. Rott Weiler

Of course the full GB can set up a Committee! But the head and Chair can't. Nor can they decide who is on it. Nor who chairs it. Committees are a good way for a GB to operate - no-one's said they don't have them already - but I don't see how more committees would help OP with their difficulties with the GB. The governors causing the difficulty, whatever that is, would just end up on the Committee as well.

digoryvenn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.