1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resigning after the cut off dates.

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by ingi10, Jun 28, 2012.

1. I am an overseas teacher on a temporary full time role. I have missed the May 30 cut off to resign at the end of Summer term as my circumstances have only changed recently which lead me to want to go home. I am contracted until December 31, 2012. I would be happy to stay at the school until late September (which would be 3 months notice) to enable a new teacher to be hired if needed. But also would be happy to leave at the end of summer term if the school finds a replacement and no longer needs me in Sept.
    Has anyone been in a situation where they have needed to give notice after the cut off date? I have read that this is up to the head teachers discretion. Does anybody have any extra info regarding this and if this would be acceptable?
    Cheers and thanks.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It is the head's discretion. Go and talk to the head - many will be sympathetic to a change in circumstances which means that you no longer wish to be far from home. If they're quick, they may be able to appoint for September, and you're offering to be flexible, which should help.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

The sooner you put your request with your reasons in writing, the sooner the head teacher can decide if they can manage the situation and allow you to leave your post early.