1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resigning after deadline

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by IT_addict, May 14, 2016.

1. IT_addict

IT_addict New commenter

Hi there,

[This comment/image/section has been removed at the request of the poster]

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2016
  2. DIrectorStudies

DIrectorStudies New commenter

You will be able to leave at Christmas with a full term's notice.

3. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

You need to read your contract to check resignation dates & may need to take further advice from your Union Regional office, too.

A HT may expect you to stay the whole of the next academic year, but mid-year resignation dates in contracts are there to accommodate changes in circumstance or that the school and employee are not a good fit.

Seek and follow Union advice.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The chance of another school agreeing to pay you from 9th July for a 1st September start is, I'd guess, about zero.

You need to check exactly what your contract of employment says about giving notice, and what's in staff handbook or equivalent. If that says you can only leave at the end of the school year the head is correct - although I'd be surprised.if it says that. More likely it'll say you can leave at 31st December if you give notice by date X. In which case your head can't insist you commit to staying for the whole of 2016/17. Presumably your conversations have been informal so far? If so then just tell the head you aren't handing in your notice and leaving at 9th July and you'll think about it over the summer, and leave it at that.

How long have you been employed at that school?

asnac likes this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

What's with April 30th? You may well be right but for state schools it's notice handed in before May 31st = leave end of summer term and be paid to August 31st.

Just check. Because if your school operates something 'odd' like this then heaven knows what else the contracts says.

As for another school paying you over the summer? Dream on.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Private schools often have longer notice periods than state schools so I wouldn't call April 30th 'odd' in a private school.

7. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I have a term's notice on either side at my own independent school.....

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I think you are asking a bit much of your own school to be honest.
    You want to hand your notice in late, though haven't quite decided, and yet still want to be paid over the summer? Errrm can't really blame your head for saying no.

Of course your head wants an answer asap. He/she needs to get classes and timetables in place, or possibly appoint someone to replace you.

I imagine your head, when faced with someone saying 'I'm thinking of leaving, didn't quite get my act together for the deadline, can I leave anyway, but actually I might not want to' was rather annoyed and so said they would like you to commit to a full year or not at all. They don't want to be having this exact same conversation with you again in October.

9. bozbear

bozbear New commenter

Last year I started a new post on the 13th July and got paid over the summer so not completely unheard of.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, I used to do that for NQTs, so that they didn't have to spend the summer in MacDonald's.

But it is unlikely to be done for a standard teaching post, especially when the teacher is moving from another school.

Actually, this is really all a little hypothetical. How much chance is there that the OP will apply and be appointed pretty soon? The reference will make it clear that he is not actually free to start in September anyway, so that will stymie the chance of moving on.

Best wishes

11. bozbear

bozbear New commenter

Just to clarify I was not an NQT had been teaching 5 years

12. bozbear

bozbear New commenter

Although on a temporary long term cover post (which was over temporary lol) so that probably made a difference as I only worked two weeks notice

13. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

When or if you get appointed, ask the HT or recruiting manager if you can start the contract from July and say that you would like a few weeks in August to prepare for September. Explain that you have mortgage and other outgoings... They may allow this.