1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resigned from my first post after one term, bad reference and shattered confidence - help please.

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Bonnie34, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Dear James,
    I graduated with a PGCE in June and started a part-time maternity cover job with Year 5. Unfortunately it turned into a disaster - I struggled with behaviour management, felt really unsupported and bullied by my induction tutor, and eventually resigned due to my voice giving out and because I simply couldn't bear the fighting and misery any longer.

I have now applied for a job at a supply agency where I thought I might be able to try out different BM strategies from scratch with different classes, and different schools. Unfortunately the agency has just told me that my reference from the school is not good enough for them to take me on. They are willing to give me a couple of chances, and see if I get good feedback. Can you advise me what I might do to improve my chances of succeeding - any additional training/observation/trial supply situations? At what stage should I just decide I don't have what it takes? I am tempted to apply for TA jobs and possibly try to rebuild confidence and BM skills from there. Any suggestions welcome.

2. Dear James,
    I graduated with a PGCE in June and started a part-time maternity cover job with Year 5. Unfortunately it turned into a disaster - I struggled with behaviour management, felt really unsupported and bullied by my induction tutor, and eventually resigned due to my voice giving out and because I simply couldn't bear the fighting and misery any longer.

I have now applied for a job at a supply agency where I thought I might be able to try out different BM strategies from scratch with different classes, and different schools. Unfortunately the agency has just told me that my reference from the school is not good enough for them to take me on. They are willing to give me a couple of chances, and see if I get good feedback. Can you advise me what I might do to improve my chances of succeeding - any additional training/observation/trial supply situations? At what stage should I just decide I don't have what it takes? I am tempted to apply for TA jobs and possibly try to rebuild confidence and BM skills from there. Any suggestions welcome.

3. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Give the supply a try. Portray confidence even if you aren't feeling it. Have lots of lessons up your sleeves that you are confident with so you are able to be flexible if there is little or no planning left. Be willing to stay late and mark books well, tidy up, ask if the year group partner needs anything done, be pleasant and confident with the TAs and it will all go well. Supply isn't easy though so you need to be able to ACT confident!

Could you try a second agency, maybe a smaller one. You never know when supply might lead to a maternity post or longer term cover if someone is off ill which can then give you new references.

4. Ask to see the reference, if there is any factual inaccuracy you can have it changed. Be open with them so that they understan the context within which the reference was given and your issues with the school. Try and get some work which will generate good feedback and build from there.
    James