1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resigned but being observed

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by seemabquaderi, Jun 27, 2019.

1. seemabquaderi

seemabquaderi New commenter

I have resigned from my current job but staying till end of Summer term. Should I still be observed? I have already been observed 3 times and god Good in all the observations.
    Thank you
    Simone

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The fact that a teacher has resigned and is working out their notice makes no difference to whether they can be observed. SLT might decide not to bother, that's up to them, but the school's lesson observation policy is very unlikely to say that someone who has resigned cannot be observed.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I think - if I didn't need a reference for another job - the observer might find the whole lesson either writing silently or watching a video. And repeat should they say 'this one doesn't count...'.;)

jlishman2158 and suzuki1690 like this.
  4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Should you still be paid? :D

All aspects of your job will continue until the end of your contract.

5. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

Happened to me too.

Should you be? Probably not. A fruitless exercise I would say for everyone involved. If it was about improving you as a classroom practicioner then SLT are doing your new school a favour. If it's about making you feel anxious then SLT are petty imbeciles.

Can you be? Yes. There's nothing to stop SLT observing you at any time.

6. brownc31

brownc31 New commenter

Of course they can, with the looming threat of them informing your new school if it's poor. I'm sure some of these SLT would get a kick out of it in your last week before retirement, to have a chance to tell you how much you need to improve.

jlishman2158 and FormosaRed like this.
  7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

An entirely negative and unnecessary post.

bevdex, Pomza and grumpydogwoman like this.
  8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

FWIW when I left a post in all of them observations for whatever reason stopped once I had submitted my resignation.

I wonder if that would be legal...thinking of data protection etc.?

9. crocked

crocked New commenter

I've had that. It was sold as continuing to support my professional development. I completely mucked it up and it had no impact on my future career.

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Obviously a school where SLT have too much time on their hands.

11. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Why worry about it? Just do whatever you would do if you were not being observed. Which I think is what should happen for all observations. Making a fuss about it or deliberately being awkward won't help anybody, and you may want a good reference from your current school in the future, especially if the new job does not work out well. Or the new school might want feedback from the old one to decide whether to move you up the pay scale.

I wondered about this. You did authorise your current school to give a reference - does this authorisation allow them to give more feedback?

12. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Was observed in my last week before I retired.
    Asked for full detailed written feedback so I could improve.
    Needless to say I received nothing.
    What a complete waste of time.

13. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

If you're really 'God Good' then you've got nothing to worry about! I was observed after I handed in my resignation. SLT have their boxes to tick and to be fair, they need to see that you've not gone demob happy. I used my last ever lesson observation to show off and just went over the top - the SLT loved it!

14. Progressnerd

It shouldn't do.

A reference is given so you can start at a new job.

The school can't just hold it over you until you leave and threaten to change the reference or ring the new school and say actually we forgot to say this teacher is terrible.

It's a form of blackmail IMO. Do exactly as we say even if it's ridiculous or we cost you a job.

15. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

If everyone else has 4 observations? Then so must you. Rather depends on what the policy says about the matter.

starlightexpress and agathamorse like this.
  16. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

You say 3 observations this year and all good. Were these one a term? I suggest checking your schools PM system and your lesson feedback. If 4 observations is the correct number then you have to do 4.
    My own experience has been of one observation a term, additional ones were only required if there was a problem.
    remember that if a child said to you 'why should I attend your detention if your leaving' what would your response to them be?

jlishman2158 likes this.
  17. Progressnerd

But what's the purpose of the observation? How can anyone really improve their practice at this stage of the academic year? Let's be honest - the kids are in wind down mode. Even for staff staying it's a pointless exercise at this stage - and most likely just so they and SLT can tick off they've done their performance management jazz for the year.

Common sense should sure prevail if someone is leaving? It's like asking him to attend an hour meeting on changes to policies for next year at the school. It would be absolutely pointless to attend even if all other staff have to go. There can be exceptions surely.

jlishman2158 and suzuki1690 like this.
  18. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

I am always a bit concerned when I hear phrases like 'wind down mode' It is still several weeks to the end of term and pupils should still be working hard. With two children of my own I expect teachers to maintain a reasonable standard of pace and rigor in their teaching.
    I have known teachers who go to the film option in lessons well before the end of term saying that they have completed their SOW early and don't need to do any more. I am not saying you have to work like a slave up to the last minute, but learning should continue to the end of term.
    Remember if we expect parents to make their children attend rather than taking an earlier and cheaper holiday, then we have to provide the work for them to do.

19. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

I don't see what the problem is if you're still getting a paycheque? Just because you've resigned doesn't mean you're not expected to play by the rules.

20. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

As others have pointed out, you’re being paid for a job. No comeback for me on observation. Suck it up.

Is it worth it?? Prob not, but it’s their prerogative isn’t it?

jlishman2158 likes this.