1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resigned after maternity leave, holiday pay?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by jojo_1503, Aug 1, 2015.

1. jojo_1503

jojo_1503 New commenter

Hi,

I am currently on maternity leave with my third child and have handed my notice in and my contract will finish at the end of my years maternity leave in November. I had planned to do this so I only took the statutory pay part of maternity pay so I have nothing to repay.

I have been reading through the maternity documents though and have seen it mentions about being paid for holiday if you don't return to work, although it is worded rather confusingly. Has anyone got any experience of this or know if it is something that is a possibility?

Thanks.

2. j_pink

j_pink New commenter

I'm not entirely sure but I do know that holiday should accumulate even if you're on maternity leave in non-teaching jobs. I also got paid a small lump at the end of some supply work I did (not realising I had 'earnt' it). Have you tried the burgundy book and NUT website?

3. najat1980

najat1980 New commenter

Can you update on this? Did you get holiday pay in the end? Many thanks

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

The situation with holiday pay accumulation IS confusing…

In short it only applies to teachers should they take an entire years leave and not return… simply because in any other length of mat leave you will have been paid for 'some' holiday more than likely for more than the statutory minimum for employees elsewhere. You will not get 13 weeks holiday pay regardless…