1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resignation

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by maths_man_, Jun 29, 2011.

1. If I got a job at another school say today, when is the earliest time I could start? (If I handed in my resignation today)
    What would happen if I started in September? Would I be blacklisted from working in the current LEA i'm in now?

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

The earliest you could start would be January - handing in your resignation by the 31st October. If you left to start in September, then you would be in breech of contract and I can't imagine any school being delighted with being left in the lurch, or indeed why any other school would take on someone with a history of leaving other schools in the lurch.

3. The earliest you could leave is December. This allows the school to find a suitable replacement. However, your Headteacher and Governing Body can agree to let you go earlier if they have a plan in place to replace you for September. You would need to agree this beforehand though and get it in writing just in case there was a problem later on and you needed to prove that you were not not in breach of contract. Don't expect your school to agree to anything though without discussing it first. With 3 weeks to go before the end of term, it might be a little difficult to replace you.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I was appointed to my first HOD post at the end of June and not expected to start by my new school until January - there was no question whatsoever of me being released early.
    I was appointed to my first headship in early July and the school at which I was deputy agreed to release me for September.
    I tell you these things because you need to go to the interview expecting to start in January and any decent headteacher will know that this will be the case - and that were your current school to agree subsequently to release you, it would be a nice bonus for them.