1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resignation summer holidays

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by hawkythegreat, Jun 24, 2020.

1. hawkythegreat

hawkythegreat New commenter

Good morning,
    I am looking for some advice on the following:
    I am currently in a teaching assistant post and have a teaching position which commences on 1st Septmeber 2020. My resignation period is 4 weeks. Does this notice period have to be in term time? or am I able to hand my notice in during the summer holidays?

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Yes. The school will have difficulty replacing you if you had it in during the holidays. Also you are not paid for the full summer holidays, I think as you will be on a term time contract you will only be paid for about 4/5 weeks holiday in the year like those working at for the LA. When I handed mine in I did it for 4 weeks before the end of term.

3. k847

k847 New commenter

I am in a similar dilemma as I will be starting my PGCE in september 2020.I currently work in a primary school and my notice is 4 weeks notice.if I resign during the summer holidays (August ) or during the end of term to state that my last day will be on the 20th September?Would that be better as im still currently on probation period

4. stargirl81

stargirl81 New commenter

You can hand it in then but that depends on the relationship that you have with the school... I would either hand it in now or at least let them know that you are leaving now so that they can sort out September.

5. Lakes1975

Lakes1975 New commenter

Contact your union to be absolutely sure where you stand.