1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resignation Query Dec 2012

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by readytorumble, Aug 20, 2012.

1. readytorumble

readytorumble New commenter

Dear Theo,

I am currently employed as HOD in Prep School but am dreading the thought of another year due to various reasons. I suppose the main one is the fact that I do not enjoy teaching there. This is the first time in my 14 years of teaching that I am dreading going back to work in September.

Therefore, after much consideration and discussion with my family, I have decided that I would like to resign at the end of December 2012 as this would be a term's notice.

My main concern is my Headmistress's reaction. I want to leave to pursue other interests namely teaching overseas or back into a state school where I am no longer responsible for a subject. I would like to do daily supply as well as look at international jobs. I have only been emloyed as HOD for one year and have been teaching for over 13 years and can honestly say that this has been the most difficult school I have ever been in.

Is this career suicide? My cv will state that I will only have worked there for One year and one term.

Please can you give me some advice as to the best way to go about telling my Headmistress I would like to leave. Do I schedule a meeting the first day back before pupils arrive and hand in the letter? Do I tell her I will be applying for other jobs even though this may well jeopardise my reference from her?

Am stressed about this already! Never in all my years of teaching have I dreaded going back to school like this!

HELP!

2. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Hello, I can't advise you on telling your headmistress, but I was a HOD for one term when I applied for, was shortlisted for and appointed to another HOD role - changing schools has never done me any harm x

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Firstly I would advise caution and not rush into things.
    1 The closing date for resignations to leave at the end of December is not till 31st of October, so plenty of time to see if things change.
    2 Many teachers seem to get the 'collywobbles' around this time of year. It's partly being 'out of harness', wondering what the future holds with all uncertainty etc., so many people will be feeling nervous and anxious now.
    I'm advising caution because you've onl been HoD for a short while and it does take a while to settle in, plus you've probably cracked the worst of it and next year may well be easier than you think - a bit like the probatiionary year when it's full-on and thereafter one learns to manage better how to streamline, one's already got lots of the data in position etc.
    Also, not everywhere, but certainly in many areas, day to day supply has simply vanished and you would be unwise to bank on that if you need a regular income.
    See how you feel after a few weeks back at school. That will still be Oct. so still time to resign if you need to.

4. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

DO NOT walk in and hand in your resignation first thing in the term! You have until October 31st and agree completely with another poster that teachers often get 'collywobbles' at this time of year. I can attest that the lead back in to the start of term is a funny time of year where you can go from being on a real high to being knocked over for 6 with significant depression in a matter of days (if necessary, take ADs. There is no shame in doing so.)
    Go back and see you you feel later on. Please don't hand in your resignation without a job to go to or rely on supply, I am 95% sure you will end up regretting it. I am currently supply through being forced down that road rather than choice and hope to get out of it into a perm job as soon as I can!

You may not like where you work now. Let me put a scenario in your head. You sirtting there on January 17th having not worked since late December awaiting that call of work through supply, which doesn't arrive. Watching Jeremy Kyle and wondering where it all went awry.

Many of us would give our eye teeth for what you have now, a job and HoD! Don't throw it away too easily!

5. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

I agree with ST but try and get some emotional support in place. When you are not happy, thinking logically and financially may not be easy. If you can get a good counsellor to support your issues in your workplace, whilst you look for a job that may be a solution. Don't expect movement into a new job to take place quickly, you might be lucky, but you might be looking for a while. Best wishes.

6. I agree, I'd get some emotional support through a counsellor, who will help you unravel your concerns and help you make a decision that is not rushed. If you're working you should be able to afford one privately, it will be worth the investment. Start now which gives you a couple of months before you have the option of handing in your notice. Don't let anyone know your feelings about the job, even in a subtle way as this will be picked up on and could backfire. Save it all for the counsellor.

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter

In a state school the last date for resignation at the end of December is 31st October, but as you teach in a prep school you need to check your contract for the notice period required.

8. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

A therapy that I would consider you try is NLP Neuro Linguistic Programming. It helps you rethink how you think about situations. It not brainwashing, it's a method of enabling you to deal with things differently. It's great for things like quitting smoking, or having phobias about flying. If you feel anxious about going back to school etc. this could be tackled. I'm no expert but just look at this option and try to speak to some practictioners in your area. Another one I've heard works well is CBT cognitive behavioural therapy. As York says start in advance and get a relationship going with the counsellor so you have the emotional strengthening going on and you make the right decisions for you at the right time. Best wishes.