1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resignation - protected salary for 3 years?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by oldskool71, Nov 1, 2017.

1. oldskool71

oldskool71 New commenter

I am head of a large faculty, also HOD for 2 departments and have a whole school role. Recent changes in my personal life and circumstances mean its now very difficult for me to do my job properly, therefore I am thinking of resigning my HOF role.

Is it correct that if you resign a management role your salary is protected for 3 years, which is what I have been advised?

2. meggyd

meggyd Occasional commenter

Only if your job disappears and then you can be asked to do similar tasks because you are receiving an allowance.

3. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

Protection only occurs if a role is made redundant e.g. two departments were merged and therefore one of the old HoDs would lose their role. Any receiving a protected salary would be expected to carry out equivalent work for the three years. In the case you have outlined, you would not receive protection as someone would still need to carry out the role.

Would it be possible for you to reduce your responsibilities e.g. give up your whole school role, and then potentially receive a reduced TLR? That may be a way of reducing our workload without a drastic drop in your pay.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

As other posters have said, TLR protected salary only applies if school abolishes the TLR post.

You say you are thinking of "resigning" your HOF role, presumably to revert to being solely a classroom teacher. This isn't something you have an automatic right to do. Staff are not entitled to resign bits of their job. You are employed as a HOF, you can resign your whole job and leave the school but you cannot unilaterally just resign the management parts of the job and appoint yourself as a full time classroom teacher.

Most things are possible if you and the school agree it though. You need to ask the head if you can be relieved of the HOF responsibilities and become a classroom teacher. The head is likely to agree if possible - heads don't want HOFs who don't want the role and are struggling to cope. But it will depend on the staffing position overall. Is there someone who could take your place as HOF? Is there a need for the additional class teacher hours you would bring?

If head agreed your request your TLR pay would cease immediately you stopped doing the HOF role.

strawbs likes this.
  5. meggyd

meggyd Occasional commenter

I'm not convinced that becoming an ordinary classroom teacher would be any easier or less stressful. More contact time and more marking.