1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resignation Letter

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by puregreentea, Mar 7, 2016.

1. puregreentea

puregreentea New commenter

Hi all

I am planning to hand in my notice this week BUT I want to work till the end of the school year. I have used Theo's template letter but I just want to make sure the dates are right. The letter at the moment is:-

Dear Headteacher

Resignation from post of Teacher at Grungy Green School

I wish to confirm that I am resigning my post of teacher at Grungy Green School with effect from 7th March 2016. My last date of employment will thus be 31st August 2016, and my last date of attendance will be 20th July 2016 (last day of summer term).

Is this correct?

Thank you in advance.

2. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I would just say 'with effect from 31st August 2016.'

I don't know the circumstances but regardless I think it looks much 'nicer' if you add a 'thank you for giving me the opportunity to work at Grungy Green School and may I take this opportunity to wish the very best for the school in the future.'

If you really hate the school, you can always substitute 'school' for 'students and colleagues' in the last sentence :)

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Nope.

Dear Headteacher

I wish to confirm that I am resigning my post of teacher at Grungy Green School with effect from 1st September 2016. My last date of employment will thus be 31st August 2016, and my last date of attendance will be 20th July 2016 (last day of summer term).

It comes into effect on 1st September - the day you are no longer teaching there.

Best wishes

4. puregreentea

That was just the first bit of the letter. I am going to add the thank you part of the letter too!

badger_girl likes this.
  5. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Theo's template:

I wish to confirm that I am resigning my post of teacher at Grungy Green School with effect from 1st January 2016. My last date of employment will thus be 31 December 2015, and my last date of attendance will be (put in date of last day of term).

Surely it @puregreentea 's letter should be with effect from September 1st @TheoGriff ?

EDIT - I was just composing this post as you posted Theo! :D

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I dunno - it's always nice to get paid for 31 August too. ;) With effect from 1st September.

Yes, I suggest this in my letter.

Letter: resigning a teaching job

Best wishes

badger_girl likes this.
  7. puregreentea

Thanks Theo. Wanted to make sure the letter is right before I handed it in.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

We could be playing some sort of game here - all the answers at the same time!

Best wishes

marlin likes this.