1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resignation letter - which date?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by snugboro23, Feb 11, 2019.

1. snugboro23

snugboro23 New commenter

Hi - I am resigning from my teaching post and am not sure which date to put on the letter of resignation.
    I want to resign at the end of the spring term, before the start of summer. Advice on here generally states the 30th April as the date to use but my school will have started their summer term then. The last day of school in the spring term is 9th April and the first day back in summer is 23rd April. I am confused as to which date to put. Any advice appreciated.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If you are on "standard" teacher contract you resign from the last day of the Easter holiday if you are going to a teaching post in another school. New school pays you from first day of their summer term.

If you are going to a non-teaching job (or no job) your contractual resignation date is 30th April. So in principle school could ask you to come in for first few days of summer term. They often won't want you to - what would you do? - but you have to discuss it with the head.

Do not resign from the last day of the spring term. If do your school might not pay you for the Easter holidays.

But before you do anything check what your contract actually says. Academies may have non-standard contracts.

JohnJCazorla, nomad, strawbs and 2 others like this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you are not going to another teaching post, you are only entitled to resign with effect from the end of 30th April.

"I am resigning with effect from 30th April. However I realise that it may work better for my replacement to take over at the beginning of the summer term, and I am happy to discuss the possibility of ending my contract on 22nd April."

They'll probably be delighted to have that offer from you, as otherwise they are obliged to pay you until 30th April. If you do continue to 30th April, it's up to the school whether you carry on with your normal timetable. They might just give you gardening leave, or ask you to do something different that week. If reports are due in May, a sensible use of the time is writing draft reports, so that the new teacher need only update them for the six weeks they've been teaching.

strawbs, agathamorse and snugboro23 like this.
  4. snugboro23

snugboro23 New commenter

Thanks for the great advice, Rott Weiler and Frustum!

agathamorse likes this.
  5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

By the way, if you are applying for school teaching jobs elsewhere, it's probably best to mention that; if you get one, they will need to release you on 22nd April (or the day before their term starts, whenever that is - I think some schools are back before Easter itself).

snugboro23 and agathamorse like this.