1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resignation Letter & Dates

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by mickey23, Jan 6, 2009.

1. I am planning on handing in my resignation before February half term. But Im a little confused...

I am going to live abroad so not going into another teaching position. I have heard that because of this the school can keep me until 30th April- which is fine. Do I actually state that I want my last day to be 30th April? I dont have any hard feelings against the school I really like it so I dont want to leave a negative or harsh letter. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should write I have never done this before so do not have a clue!

Thanks

2. I am planning on handing in my resignation before February half term. But Im a little confused...

I am going to live abroad so not going into another teaching position. I have heard that because of this the school can keep me until 30th April- which is fine. Do I actually state that I want my last day to be 30th April? I dont have any hard feelings against the school I really like it so I dont want to leave a negative or harsh letter. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should write I have never done this before so do not have a clue!

Thanks

3. it is unlikely that a school, would want to 'keep' you and more importantly pay for you beyond the end of term

4. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I suppose, in theory, you are as entitled to stay until 30 April as they are to insist that you do.
    However, my advice, as ever in such situations, is to discuss the matters with your Headteacher.

5. Our department is very thin on the ground at the moment we have 4 full time teachers off with long time illness so I think they will want me to be there as long as possible to save on supply.

I have discussed the matter with my HOD, and I am speaking to the headteacher this week. I really just dont know how to word it in a resignation letter.

6. teachur

teachur New commenter

You must, bby your contract, give 2 months of notice for resignation. This basically equates to half term resignation.

I am unsure as to where you got the 30th April date from? You would resign with the view to leave at the end of the term. Normally you are paid over the holiday period until you start your new post on the first day of the new term in a new post - this is to ensure that your contracts don't cross over or leave a gap.

You are leaving at the end of term and not restarting a new job - which means you walk out on the last day of this term and do not return. It would be unwise, VERY unwise of your school to "keep" you until 30th April unless you offered - they wouldn't really have a leg to stand on.

7. Look at your contract. What is your notice period? E.g. On mine, it said, 2 months if I wanted to leave at the end of the first term or second term and 3 months if I wanted to leave in the summer term. In FE, some permanent teachers have to give 4 months notice (whichis where 30th April comes from in response to those who asked).

In practice though, given your circumstances and the fact that everyone's happy with your work there at the moment, I don't see why the school cannot release you earlier. In my case, I resigned at the beginning of November which was slightly less than 2 months in advance but the head was still happy to let me go at the end of term. The same applied to a previous job, I had. For that job, I had to give a month's notice but the principal was happy to let me go the week after I'd handed in my notice as I'd already started working elsewhere.

Btw, you don't mention what your HOD said. If your HOD thinks it's ok, I'd ask him or her to pass on your concern to the head or payroll or contact them yourself. You don't need to mention this in your resignation letter as when you leave is the school's problem. All I've previously written is:

Your address

Date

Dear (Head's name)

I am writing to tender my resignation as from the date of this communication.

Yours sincerely

Your name & signature.

Short and sweet. Of course, you can add a line about how happy you've been working at the school etc and offer your good wishes, but as I said, I think it's better to keep things short and sweet.

Good luck!

CW

8. frustum

frustum Established commenter

You said that you're fine about working until 30th April. If, in fact, you'd be happy continuing beyond that, do bear in mind that any leaving date could be negotiated if it suits both parties. So if your new job doesn't start until June, you might agree to stay until the exam season begins, for instance.
    Either talk to the head before putting things in writing, or go for "I'm writing to tender my resignation. I understand that, were I moving to another post, this would take effect from the start of the new term; since I am not, I am willing to discuss a suitable end date."

9. tafkam

It always astounds me when people who are presumably employed teachers (under teachers' conditions) say things like:
    The 30th April date comes from the Burgundy book (more formally, the "Conditions of Service for School Teachers in England and Wales), the document which sets out resignation terms, including the two month notice period which has been noted. The two month notice period runs (in the case of the Spring term) from 28/29 February to 30th April, or until the start of the summer term in the new post, whichever comes first.
    Given that this teacher is not going to a new post, the school would be well within its rights to retain her until 30th April in line with the agreed dates for resignation.

As it is, in this case, it seems that it would likely suit both parties to stay in post to April 30th, so there shouldn't be an issue. Equally, has already been said. It is perfectly possible to leave at any other date by mutual agreement. I know of a French teacher who stayed in post until mid-May to carry out oral examinations, but did not stay as long as half term, let alone the end of term!

10. Thanks for all your responses. So do I say on my letter I wish my contract to end on the 30th April (which will be my last working day?).

Sorry to sound like a numbskull I really am confused about all this![​IMG]

11. tafkam

Personally I think you should discuss the matter with your Headteacher before writing anything.

12. I have been waiting for an apointment with him for 3 weeks now, Id rather just give in the letter and any problems he can see me about it.

So do I say I wish my last working day to be 30th April?

Thanks

13. tafkam

Three weeks!!?!?
    In that case, yes, I'd put something like
    "...in line with Burgundy book conditions, my last working day would therefore be Thursday 30th April"
    and see what comes back.

14. Yes Im afraid it has been that long! He is an acting head so is not there full time and seems very difficult to get hold of!.

Thanks for your help Tafkam

15. Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

I need some advice... I work at a very very challenging
    school which I only joined in September. I knew pretty quickly that I'd made
    the wrong choice but kept it to myself until I was 'threatened' by a kid and
    decided I wanted to resign. I spoke to my head prior to Oct 1/2 term about
    leaving at Christmas and she persuaded me to hang on and said that if I didn't
    change my mind she would let me go. I didn't change my mind and handed in my
    notice in November. She informed me that I would not be let out of my contract
    and had to stay on till April. I know heads are allowed to do this but because
    she had told me she'd let me go I trusted she would.

She informed me that she did not accept my resignation and
    that was that (also threatened to report me to the GTC if I left etc). I
    thought long and hard over Xmas and decided that I wasn't going to let this
    school beat me and would stick it out for the kids because some were ok... I
    came back after Xmas and informed my HOD that I wanted to stay and she was very
    pleased. On Friday I was told by my HOD that the head was going to re advertise
    my job and I was very welcome to apply for it. Whether I do or not doesn't
    matter but what I want to know is, can you actually do that? She didn't accept
    my resignation so doesn't that mean I HAVEN'T actually resigned? How can she
    advertise something I haven't resigned from yet? I realise she is looking out
    for her school etc (even though I feel completely done over by this woman) but I?m
    a little confused. When a teacher refuses your resignation, have you resigned
    or not?? There is no question that my work has been good at the school so I
    know she has no grounds to fire me. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    because I?ve never been in this position before...

16. tafkam

Did she respond in writing to your original resignation?

17. Yes, I have a letter telling me she is not accepting my resignation and that I would have to resubmit my resignation letter term for leaving in April...

18. tafkam

Then as I see it, no notice period exists.
    Your Head if of course at liberty to advertise for a new post as she sees fit, but you are still in your permanent position.
    It is definitely time to engage your union, though.