1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

resignation etiquette

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by purplecarrot, Oct 3, 2015.

1. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

I was successful at an interview just under a week ago and let my head know verbally asap that I'd got a new job for January.
    I have had a good 3 years at my school and don't want to be difficult so want to formally announce my resignation asap to let them start recruiting my replacement but equally I want to make sure that all things like my references etc are all done (no reason for any problems) so I know that the job offer can't be turned away.
    I'm probably just worrying and should take in my letter but was hoping for some advice.

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

The admin staff will know if your reference was sent off. Have you had the job offer in writing? If not, you could contact the new school office to check it's on its way. When its in writing, hand your letter in.
    (It's Saturday night, I've had a glass of wine I retired years ago - what do I know :))

solvacrime likes this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Seems to me that it's pretty powerful wine you have there,@lindenlea !

That's exactly what purple should do.

Check that your school has sent the reference. They normally go out before the interview by the way. Then ring and speak to the other school, saying that you want to give in your notice asap to help your school.

Well done on getting that job, by the way.:)

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Ah, nice to know i can still come up with the right answer Theo! :)

5. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

Thank you both. I'll do that next week.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon)