1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resignation due to depression

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Limbo83, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Limbo83

Limbo83 New commenter

Hi, I'm after some advice. Having battled depression and anxiety on and off for a while now I am seriously considering resigning from my post. I feel that I can no longer sacrifice my health and happiness for a job. Obviously, this will have significant financial implications. I was just wondering if anyone had any knowledge of what my benefit entitlement would be if I do resign. I know ordinarily resignation would mean I would get nothing but is it different if it's due to ill health? I want to get healthy and some sort of work ASAP but am a bit concerned about what will happen while I'm getting there.

2. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Sorry you feel so bad.
    You can google benefits.
    I don't think you would be entitled to anything especially if you have any savings. On the other hand, sick leave might be the answer?
    Are you a genuine poster?

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I really do not know the answer to this so perhaps other posters will be able to help but from my understanding it is very difficult, nigh impossible to make a case for' ill health ' compensation ? If indeed this is what you mean ? I suspect this is why so many colleagues whose mental health is significantly affected by the demands of teaching try to stay in post. Good Luck

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

OH dear, I am so sorry that your health is so bad. I do hope that you are following your GP's advice to try to get better.

The problem with resigning is that you might not get any unemployment benefits for quite a while, as they may consider that you are voluntarily unemployed.

:(

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/Pages/default.aspx

And unless you are nearing retirement and it is considered that you are unable to work again in any job, you are unlikely to get any money from I'll health caused by your school.

You may qualify for sickness benefits, however. Now I can't tell you about this. Here's the information from the CAB. I suggest that you go and see them to get more information on this.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/b...benefits-for-people-who-are-sick-or-disabled/

I do hope that your health improves soon, and that you get help to sort out your finances.

Very best wishes