1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resignation - does it have to be before half term?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by p9c, Jan 26, 2017.

1. p9c

p9c New commenter

I am in the process of applying for a couple of jobs. Both are to start in April, I realise it will have to be the end of April. One of the jobs advertised is interviewing during the February half term. Will this be to late to hand in my resignation to leave in April? Does notice need to be given before the February half term or before the end of February?

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

End of February. This year that is well after half term. In our area anyway!

Lara mfl 05 and p9c like this.
  3. p9c

p9c New commenter

Fantastic thank-you. Do you know what the guidelines are for the starting date in April- is it the end of April, straight after the half term or exactly 2 months after the resignation date (or something else!!??)

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

You might find this information useful.
    And this, specifically about Easter.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

You need to resign by February 28th (February 29th) in leap years.
    If this does happen to fall during half term and you wish to resign, go and hand deliver your DATED resignation letter to the school AND then, send an email to the HT confirming that you've submitted this before the deadline. There will be no issues then.

FrankWolley likes this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You can start a new teaching post straight after the Easter holidays.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. p9c

p9c New commenter

Thanks so much for all the help and advice. Just to update, new job offered and accepted, resignation letter handed in, dates questioned by the Head Teacher, confident response given by myself describing the February resignation dates to start new post in April. All courtesy of this TES forum!! Thanks again guys x

8. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Hang fire... it depends on the nature of your contract. Not saying you are wrong, but there is no national picture any more

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Thanks for coming back to tell us...love a happy ending!

Lara mfl 05 and p9c like this.