1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resignation deadlines - how flexible?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by henriette, Apr 1, 2011.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

Generally not flexible at all: 31 May is 31 May

2. It's a breach of contract. You could ask your Head if you can be released early, he/she may be looking to cut costs anyway. But they may say no, especially if it's very close to the end of the summer term.
    In reality, if you do just walk, the employer could theoretically sue you for additional costs incurred in replacing you, but in practice it isn't going to happen.
    Having said that, you aren't going to get a good reference, you may well end up on a blacklist with that LEA, and you won't get paid over the summer.
    Additionally, as an employer myself, if you broke contract to take a job with me, my first thought would be 'will he/she dump me the moment it suits him/her'.
    You may have a good excuse, it may well be a real good excuse, but everybody who does this thinks they have a good excuse.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It's the advertising school that needs to be flexible if they are recruiting after the 31stMay.
    They may decided to select an NQT or an unemployed teacher for a September strat or they may go for their preferred candidate and have to wait until 1st January to get them, employing a supply teacher in the interim. I got a term's work in that scenarion years ago.
    Of course, you can still ask your current school if you can be released on 31st August and they may be happy to recruit an NQT to replace you, with no staff changeover for the children in the next school year.

4. Best to give straight answers in these cases :)
    I think they probably mean "ideally for Sept start" ! Most heads will have planned everything by August for September, hopefully, so a loss of a member of staff (unless they're useless and you really want rid of them) leaves a hole.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

If I were recruiting late for a September start andthe best candidate couldn't start until January I'd still appoint him/her; similarly, if an already employed candidate applied and I knew they couldn't resign in time for September, I'd still interview - I'd assume it would be a January start but also know that the candidate could ask to be released - but I would not expect it and I certainly would not want them to break their contract. What goes around, comes around.