1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resignation Deadline- How many resignations have you had?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by jago123, Oct 29, 2017.

1. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

With the resignation deadline looming, just out of interest, how many resignations has your school had for staff to leave at Christmas?

In a large secondary, where I am the HT, I have had 10 colleagues resign..
    1 x AHT- As mentioned in previous post, was suspended pending investigation then resigned.
    2 x HOD- Both taking up promoted posts in alternative schools.
    5 x Teaching Colleagues- Two retiring, three leaving for alternative posts.
    2 x Support Colleagues- Taking up new career

I do have quite a lot of colleagues leaving but I’ve managed to fill the AHT role internally and I’m interviewing internal colleagues this week for the HOD role with the adverts for teaching and support colleagues gone live.
    I know the deadline has passed so I’m going to be looking for teachers who have resigned with hope to find work for January or unemployed teachers.
    Support colleagues will be easier to recruit for as they don’t usually require the same amount of notice period a standard teaching colleague would require.
    I’m committed to promoting colleagues from within in order to retain employee engagement.

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Lead commenter

I really don't understand who the resignation deadline is suppsed to help. You have more notice that your teachers are leaving, but if they leave it to the deadline, it doesn't make it easier for you to recruit a replacement. If the notice period were still one month you could in theory have someone in place within a month (or less) of your own teacher leaving.

Good luck in filling your vacancies.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. Pomza

Pomza Lead commenter

Rather you than me!

It can be difficult enough to find anyone good in the best of circumstances...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

Interesting that you've managed to fill the AHT post first...

5. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

The person who got the AHT role was a HoD who stepped up and took on the role whilst the outgoing AHT was suspended.
    The person has been teaching for 11 years and is ready to step up to SLT in my opinion.
    I had one other internal candidate apply, they only had 2 years experience as a HOD and has only been teaching for 5 years.

In regards to the 2 x HOD vacancies, I have since filled them- the 2 I/c in the respective departments have both been promoted from January.

I just have 7 more vacancies to fill in 4 weeks! No pressure.