1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resignation dates

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by PRHPxo, Feb 23, 2016.

1. PRHPxo

PRHPxo New commenter

I am currently in the process of writing my first resignation letter. I am unsure what to write with the last date I work and the last date which I get paid until.

It will be for the Easter resignation dates, my school breaks up on the Fri18th March (last day of Easter holidays is Fri 1st April/Sun 3 April)

What do I state as the dates?

Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

3. PRHPxo

PRHPxo New commenter

I have found your post on resigning:

"
    Resignation from post of Teacher at Grungy Green School

I wish to confirm that I am resigning my post of teacher at Grungy Green School with effect from 1st January 2016. My last date of employment will thus be 31 December 2015, and my last date of attendance will be (put in date of last day of term)."

The 'effect from' is the part I am unsure of what date to state.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I wish to confirm that I am resigning my post of teacher at Grungy Green School with effect from 1st May 2016. My last date of employment will thus be 30 April 2016, and my last date of attendance will be 18 March 2016."

The bit about with effect from is just the day that you are no longer employed. So the day after your last day of employment

Best wishes

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

However if you are starting work at another school on 4th April, then your resignation will be with effect from 4th April.

If you do not have a new job to go to, your resignation will be with effect from 1st May, and your school could expect you to continue working until 30th April. In that case, the wording should probably be more like:
    I wish to confirm that I am resigning my post of teacher at Grungy Green School with effect from 1st May 2016. My last date of employment will thus be 30 April 2016.
    You can then wait to see whether they say "don't bother coming in after the holiday". If you'd rather avoid any expectation of that, you could offer that you'd be happy to end the contract earlier - but of course then the pay would end earlier too.
    I realise that you may wish my replacement to start at the beginning of term, and so I would be happy to finish on 3rd April if this suits the school better.
    The official date is 30th April if you are not moving to another school, so an earlier finish is only possible if both parties agree; they can't force it on you and you can't force it on them.

6. glitterdustgirl

glitterdustgirl New commenter

So, if the official date is 30th April and this is on your resignation letter, can the school tell you to finish earlier if you don't want to because you would still like to be paid? It's confusing!

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Official date is 30 April.

That means for pay, and for attendance too - you have to teach and earn your pay,

If you are going to another school, you may start before 30 April. So your current school will only pay you up to the beginning of that term when you inform them of the dtes.

If you are NOT going to another school, your current school MAY insist that you teach until 30 April, but may not bother if they have another teacher. However, they still have to pay you until 30 April.

They cannot tell you to finish earlier; they can tell you to come in until 30 April.

Easter resignations - different term dates old school new school

Best wishes