1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resignation Date

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by t3wbaca2, Mar 30, 2019.

1. t3wbaca2

t3wbaca2 New commenter

Good Afternoon,

I have recently received an offer to work in an International School. My start date is at the beginning of August. What date would I need to put on my resignation as my effective end date? Is it still the 31st August or would I have to put it the day before my international contract was to begin?

Thanks in advance.

2. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

Put it as 31st August if I were you - given how stretched school budgets are, I'm not sure I'd entirely blame your school if they used an earlier resignation date as a way to get out of paying you your August salary. However, it might perhaps also be worth mentioning in your letter your effective end date. Not sure of the legality of this (though plenty of people do hold two jobs) - perhaps call your Union for advice here?

3. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

IMO, you are paid an annual salary so I would say that by the time you get to August you have earned the money that you get paid in the summer 'holiday' - they didn't pay you for the August before you started so there is no expectation that month is to be used in preparation for the school year. If you choose to have a holiday job and many schools pay teachers to come in during those weeks that's your own affair. Technically the school could possibly direct you to do something during August but given that that should already be in the calendar it's unlikely.
    Put 31st August in your letter.

NIHistoryTeacher likes this.
  4. shamandalie

shamandalie New commenter

I believe that's what I did when I moved to Thailand.

5. hephelumps

hephelumps New commenter

agreed, you should be paid your August salary as you have already done the work