1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resignation date to begin a new job in august 2011

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by jubilee, Apr 5, 2011.

1. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You could tell her that you've contacted your new employer and arranged a later start for the new job to allow you August in the UK to get organised!
    I'm surprised that the union are not supporting you on this.
    I agree that a call to HR is in order. Also check your contract (ask HR for a copy if you no longer have one).
    If your head's version were correct, she wouldn't need you to be providing her with the dates she's insisting on in your resignation letter.
    Stick to submitting it by 31st May 2011, specifying leaving your employment on the 31st August 2011.
    Contract teachers' pay is for 195 days per year and the remuneration for those 195 days is evenly divided over 12 months. You'll have done the 195 days and will be entitled to the full annual pay.
    Don't be brow-beaten on this! The Head has no authority to have you, or any other, teacher available for work in August. You could be booked on a holiday in the UK or abroad for the whole of August, after all.
    If she tries to force your hand again, ask whether she will be withdrawing holiday pay from your colleagues doing exam marking, holiday playschemes, bar and restaurant work or car boot sales in the summer holidays!
    She is definitely mixing your situation up with the pay rules for teachers changing schools within the same or another UK LA.

2. Please DO NOT GIVE IN to these bullying attempts! You are absolutely right to
    hand your notice in on 31st August and as the hols are non-directed
    time, you are NOT expected to be 'available for work'. We earn our salary as a yearly sum, paid for a set number of term time hours worked, but spread over the full 365 days. By taking your summer pay, she is effectively reducing your monthly salary - if that makes sense. You are absolutely right on this one. Don't budge.

3. serendipity21

serendipity21 New commenter

Thank you all for your supportive messages, I handed my letter in dated for resignation on 31st August, not a happy response but I have directed any further contact about it to the union as it is stressing me. Will update you when it is done, but you have all empowered me to stand my ground and fight for what I have truly earned!

Thanks!

4. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Yes indeed. Good.

6. serendipity21

serendipity21 New commenter

Thanks again! I really felt that I was doing something wrong and I understand now how much pressure she has been putting on me, it's a disgrace!

The power of this forum is fantastic!

7. Does anyone know if the same rules apply to someone on the leadership team as often SLT roles do require you to be in over the summer? Thanks.

8. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Same rules apply below headship level. You can always check at your school. It can depend on your own contract.

9. I am in a similar position to the first person who posted as I start at an international school part way through the summer and my head will only pay me until I start at the new school. I thought it was right though because of what it says in the burgundy book and that directed time doesn't apply to leadership team. This thread is making me think it might not be right though??

10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I am not an expert on leadership team (not being anywhere near it) but as directed time limits do not apply to them, you can be asked to come in at times during the holiday, perhaps for results days. If you are not available to do so, then it seems reasonable for you not to be paid. Perhpas it might even be a breach of contract for you not to be available until the end of term (i.e. 31 August).

11. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

By law every employee is entitled to 28 days paid annual leave (which usually includes bank holidays). How could you be in breach of contract for going on a family holiday in August?

12. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

The law does not stipulate when the holiday has to be taken. In most jobs, the employer has some say in this, and it is standard for there to be restrictions based on peak workload seasons or other people's holidays. Provided the employee gets the 4 weeks, the employer can insist on them being at work on certain dates.

It is one of the downsides of being SMT that your working condition are nearer to those in other forms of employment, The upside is more money!

That being said, I think that the school should only care about this if it would be usual for the employee to come in during August.