1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resignation after the deadline

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by elr18, Jun 11, 2019.

1. elr18

elr18 New commenter

I've been at this school for coming up to 5 years, starting as an NQT. It's not been an easy experience as the headteacher for the first 4 years was a bully and regularly had staff in tears. As it was my first experience of teaching, I accepted a lot of it and thought it was "right". I've since found out this is not the case and have been slowly starting to unravel everything over this past year. The current headteacher has expressed concerns about my mental health, not truly understanding why I'm not "better" as she "isn't the previous headteacher". I've recently had someone say to me that I was conditioned for 4 years so it's no wonder I respond how I do in school.
    Anyway, I'd been considering resigning and was told by the headteacher back in March that I would be moving year groups into KS2 so I should take that in to consideration with my decision. I did not hand in my notice but was then told less than a week after the deadline that I would instead by moving to EYFS. It's not necessarily that I don't want to do it but I feel that she told me to make my decision based on one thing, changed her mind after the deadline and has offered no real explanation other than "it's best for the school". Had the deadline not passed, she would have already had my resignation letter as I feel it was a very underhand move and feel it would be good to have a clean break from a school that holds so many bad memories.
    I contacted my union for advice and they said she's not in breach of contract but I could look at a grievance route as she told me one thing to stay and then changed it. I'd much rather not go down legal proceedings and rather ask for early release to go at the end of the year. How would I go about this? What would I say in the letter? Is it likely to be accepted?

2. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

It is possible, that having looked at timetabling for next year and the personnel she has, she decided to change her mind about year group allocations.

Are you planning to stay in teaching, because you will need a reference from her for your next post? You could, I suppose, go and speak to her and request that she accept your resignation, although late and release you from your contract.

It’s dependent on so many things though- whether she will accept it, whether she is prepared to advertise for your replacement, whether she wants you to stay or not.

I think you might be better speaking to her face to face, rather than writing a letter.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Good advice from foxtail there.
    I tend to agree it may be consideration of staffing which may have led her to change your year group, rather than a deliberate attempt to mislead you.

Think about what you want to do next. It will be less financially disruptive if you have another job to go to, so explaining to your head that you will need to start looking next term for another post wouldn't come amiss. Though it's unlikely to change her mind.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Sometimes late changes can't be helped - eg EYFS teacher resigns at the end of May, nobody else has any experience with EYFS, and so it seems most sense to move someone who has been doing year 1, as they probably have more clue than most.

It does sound like you might be best off moving school because of the history, but draw some strength from the fact that the head obviously wanted you enough to encourage you to stay.

You said that you don't necessarily object to EYFS, so I would run with it for next term, whilst looking for new posts.