1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resignation advice

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by music1421, Feb 13, 2020.

1. music1421

music1421 New commenter

Hi, I want to hand in my resignation to leave in April. As I am currently off sick, I will be unable to hand in my notice until after half term - would this be too late?
    Additionally, my HT can be quite elusive- would I be able to hand the letter in to a member of SLT if HT not available?
    Many thanks in advance for advice!

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Why not:

• Send an email and also
    • Follow it up with a recorded (e.g. signed for) letter to the HT at the school?
    If the HT is not in, the office staff will sign for it and you can be assured it was delivered.

phlogiston and agathamorse like this.
  3. tricolas

tricolas New commenter

Resignation date for Easter holidays is 28th Feb.

Might be worth double checking, as some info states Easter holidays and some states 30th April.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. music1421

music1421 New commenter

So, I should be back at work on 26th February (work PT) - I can hand in my letter then to HT or the office manager if HT not in?

5. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Just email. Job done.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes, there is plenty of time. As long as it is with the school by 28 February, you are fine. But why not take @Pomza's advice and send an email now?

The info states that the leaving date is 30 April unless you are starting at a new school before the, in which case it is the day before the new job starts. However if you are not going to a another school, your old one might be prepared to let you leave on the last day of the holiday so that they can start the term with a new teacher. But don't expect to be paid after the start of term!

7. music1421

music1421 New commenter

I really like the idea of closing my eyes and pressing “send”, but would it come across as insensitive, especially as I’m currently off sick?

8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

You are doing your school a favour by informing them ahead of the required date that you wish to resign. As for them considering you 'insensitive' what does that have to do with anything? Your resignation is a simple administrative process - you won't be the first or the last and schools are used to staff churn. Within a year or two you will be faintly remembered or forgotten completely and life in the school will just go on. Nobody's going to say, 'Ah, music1421 they offered their resignation in a very insensitive manner.'

9. tricolas

tricolas New commenter

You need to do whatever you feel is right for you.

Obviously you dont want to burn any bridges, but everyone is replaceable so don't give too much thought as to whether it's insensitive or not.

Life is too short to be unhappy.

Pomza and music1421 like this.
  10. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

No. Most formal communication is now sent by email.

Plus, it is time stamped, so nobody can later accuse you of no adhering to cut-off dates etc.

11. music1421

music1421 New commenter

Sounds true - I’m just now going to wait for the go-ahead from my potential new career to happen, then I’ll email it over for the HT to peruse at leisure during half term! I’m not sad to leave, let’s just say that!

Pomza and agathamorse like this.
  12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Pomza and agathamorse like this.
  13. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Do tell us what it is you plan to do next, we'd love to know and it may give other prospective escapees some ideas and inspiration. Whatever you're doing, I hope it works out for you.

Piranha likes this.
  14. music1421

music1421 New commenter

Thank you! Really appreciate the support and advice with this. I’m just waiting for the go ahead from my potential next job (admin and not teaching!) and then will hand in notice, along with email on Wed 26th.
    Watch this space!

Shedman and Morninglover like this.
  15. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Considering all the admin you do as part of teaching these days this should be a bit of a breeze. Hope it goes well.

16. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Is the admin job in a school? If not, you still need to decide whether to give your final date as 30 April or whether to ask for the last day of the holiday. That might depend on when your new employer wants you to start.

17. music1421

music1421 New commenter

18. music1421

music1421 New commenter

#UPDATE# - I handed my notice in this week - feel very uplifted! Emailed and handed in letter to the business manager, as the elusive HT was nowhere to be seen!
    Since then, have had no further communication from the HT, even acknowledgement of receiving my resignation! This speaks volumes...
    Thank you to all who advised on this thread.

19. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Good luck for the future. Keep us posted on what you do next.

20. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Good for you.
    There is a thread on acknowledememt of resignation letters, and I have to say that if I had handed it in directly to the business manager, I'm not sure I'd expect any acknowledgement. But I wouldn't expect good manners from the type of school you seem to be in.
    Good luck!