1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resign or stick with it?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by marniott, Feb 25, 2016.

1. marniott

marniott New commenter

Hi all,

Last year I was promoted to team leader in a new school. I took up the post and tried hard to make it work but within six weeks of starting I was placed on an informal action plan. Through various reasons (back-stabbing, running to SMT over minor problems, unprofessional discussions, etc) I ended up going off for the final term of last year. After discussions, I returned to the school in the new academic year. I'm now in a difficult decision (and I think I know deep down what I have to do) of deciding whether I stick with it until the end of the school year or do I resign now?

Part of my thinking is that I am now on the verge of being put on capability for not performing to the required standard - I am not claiming that I am the best teacher in the world but in my previous (good) school I was consistently graded as good/outstanding. I have jumped through every hoop they have asked me to, I have followed all the guidance and taken them up on the support offered but (and I say this with some feeling) I honestly feel the support/guidance is full of empty promises - I think they are purely collecting evidence in order to get me out of the school.

I find myself worrying about the next email that will come through, constantly looking over my shoulder whilst teaching or discussing (with close friends within school) how I feel. I just don't know what to do. My direct line manager is like the weather - I really don't know what mood they will be in when I see them every day - this adds to the pressure as they can drop-in at any point and although it all seems fine at the time I know there will be an email later telling me what was wrong.

The deadline for resigning in time for this term is coming up and I really don't know what to do. I haven't sorted anything alternative out yet but really don't know if I can manage till the end of the year - the impending next observation is really worrying me as it needs to be judged as majority good or I will end up on capability. If I did resign would I still need to have the observation?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

2. jumpingstar

jumpingstar New commenter

This sounds like me - minus the going off on sick leave - this is my story in a nutshell!
    I completely sympathise with you!
    I am handing in my notice to leave in July without another job (currently) but I don't care. I love the kids so I am seeing out the year for their sakes but know that there is nothing I can do to make my life any easier in the school I am in.
    I am not outstanding but I know I am good and I care so much about my job and want to learn, not be victimised and at the end of the day my sanity and happiness is my main concern. Nothing else matters.
    Having no job is scary but there is always supply and I know it's not guaranteed but there is work and it is great professional development in many ways as well as can be a foot in the door. (I got my first ever post as a result of going in to do a days supply at a school I had been to a few times and they offered me a terms supply out of it)
    I would personally say that if you can manage (money wise) and you are happy to do supply until you find something else then resign - you need to keep yourself happy. That's the ultimate thing here. No job is worth your health or mental health suffering for. It is only a job at the end of the day!
    Just my opinion but hope it helps!
    Good luck and I hope it all works out

marniott and frangipani123 like this.
  3. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Work isn't meant to make you feel like this, but from reading the threads here your situation is not uncommon. As the previous poster has said, no job is worth your health. It sounds to me that you really feel that you can't carry on, so it may be best to hand in your notice. When I planned to leave my job because I couldn't deal with it any more I drew up spreadsheets of my income and expenditure and went through it very carefully and renegotiated energy contracts etc, plus I drew up 'possible work' spreadsheet too which made me feel more comfortable with the idea. I don't know if you will still need to be observed, but if you have resigned you will feel calmer about it.

I also recommend that you trawl through threads old and new here as you will find a variety of situations that people have faced, and how they have dealt with them. There is a big world out there.

marniott likes this.
  4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Get out of there

Once you have made the decision and are leaving on your terms, you will feel better.

Don't worry about the observation. Watch this and it will all fall into place:

frangipani123 and TEA2111 like this.
  5. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

You sound like you are at the point where the school you are in is making you ill. Get looking for other teaching jobs NOW (assuming you want to teach still) or other jobs in the meantime!

marniott likes this.
  6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

marniott likes this.
  7. marniott

marniott New commenter

Thanks for all the replies. I think I had subconsciously made the decision already - it's just scary to actually take that final step - but reading (and watching) the replies on here has confirmed this for me.

Does anyone know what the "rules" are on whether I still need to be observed? Also, could I hand my resignation in now with my end date being the end of the school year? Or do you think I am better to get out of there as soon as possible?

8. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

Me too. I'm at the end of it all now. I'll never teach in a classroom again, not because of the children but because of the terrifying way that teachers are treated. I'm happy now for the first time in over a year.

9. maud1901

maud1901 New commenter

I read on a post somewhere on the TES that if you're on capability and you've handed in your resignation then you should not have any more observations.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm afraid that this is not necessarily a guarantee of the truth . . .

And this is one of those occasions. :(

Best wishes

11. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

If you're leaving, I wouldn't worry what they say. Hey, why not show them the evidence on observations?!

12. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I have found that once you tender your resignation from a position where you find the management poor, you will immediately feel able to teach as you feel is correct. As soon as you take control of your own teaching back from their dictats and form filling you will remember why you did the job in the first place.
    I particularly enjoyed my final weeks at one junior school where the head was busily sweeping out any experienced teachers so that they could bring in lots of NQTs. I had worked there for about 5 years, firstly and mostly on supply, covering PPA throughout the school so I had taught almost all children regularly through their school career. At the end of year assembly when the head announced which teachers were leaving, there was a widespread groan from the school assembled. She (the head) was visibly shocked at the response. Even better was to follow when ofsted moved the school from Good down 2 notches stating that "behaviour management is often poor, due to the lack of experience in many key positions within the school."